sticker removal before painting

GoldenMotor.com

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
i've read some other post about removing stickers from bikes that have good paint jobs, but if your planning to repaint and want the stickers and glue removed then i've found this works best, use a heat gun or hair dryer and a razor blade to remove stickers, then get a can of carb cleaner, spray on glue then using a paper towel wipe the glue in one direction only while the glue is still wet, do this 2 or 3 times changing to new paper towel frequently. the glue should roll up into gummy little glue balls most will be stuck to the towel, if there is some glue left then use goo gone on those spots( after the glue has been exposed to carb cleaner it becomes softer and can be easily removed by the goo gone) then wash with soap and water, rinse and wipe down the part with windex and your ready to paint. (try carb cleaner on good paint with glue on it at your own risk! i've never tried it but would be interested to see if it works)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have had good luck with a good hair dryer and then "Goo BE Gone" to remove the glue. My least favorite ones to remove are on suspension forks. The glue on the fork decals is especially tenacious.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A heat gun and 3-M adhesive remover has always worked well for me.
If you want to retain the original paint under the stickers you'll want to stay away from anything too aggresive to remove the goo left after heating the stickers. The 3M stuff seems to work best of anything else I've tried.

Tom

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
After you peel the decal use WD40 on the residue it wont hurt the paint like toluene that is in 3M adhesive remover that is for cleaning up after bedding hardware with 3M caulk like 5200.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd spend my money on an adhesive remover made by 3M. After all, they make the real duct tape. Imagine cleaning up a screw-up at the plant without it.

(Heat and Goo Gone works pretty well, though.)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
a silly as it sounds, peanut butter works quite well to remove the glue residue left when removing stickers. Something in the oil is what I was told.
Got this trick from an old hot rod painter. Does not damage the paint at all.