Which is more fun, a motorized bicycle or motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com
One thing: It certainly is fun to ride a (gasoline) motorized bike. But I was wondering, is a motorcycle even more fun?

I never road a motorcycle, so I wouldn't know.

There is an art to all things. And it would seem the huge amount of power available in many motorcycles would diminish the ride's elegance compared to that of an m-bike.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: Which is more fun, m-bike or motorcycle?

For me it is dependent on the application. For slow fun cruising around the backstreets I prefer my MB. If I want to go for a ride up in the local mountains I would need to take my MB up there in the back of my truck first. Motorcycles are extremely fun to ride and can get you to far away places in good time.
MB's are extremely fun to ride and can get you to far away places in a loong time.

Think 30 MPH versus 75MPH.

The overall handling characteristics are nearly identical with the exception of slow riding speeds such as in a parking lot or stop and go rush hour traffic on the freeway. A motorcycle really lets you feel how much heavier it weighs at those speeds. Not that it is hard or anything, just different. It takes practice like anything else.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana

I have been riding motorcycles since 1965. I put over a 100,000 miles on 2 Honda Goldwings. And a lot of miles on a lot of other bikes. Now as for your question. Fun is in the mind of the rider. Riding a 1000 pound motorcycle through Atlanta during Friday rush hour may not be fun for some, but riding a 100 pound motorized bicycle through the southern Indiana country side may not be fun for someone else. I would rather ride my motorized bicycle 5 miles to town and back than take a 1000 pound Goldwing. If I am going someplace the motorcycle is the choice, If I just want to go for a ride the motorized bicycle is the choice.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

One thing: It certainly is fun to ride a (gasoline) motorized bike. But I was wondering, is a motorcycle even more fun?

I never road a motorcycle, so I wouldn't know.

There is an art to all things. And it would seem the huge amount of power available in many motorcycles would diminish the ride's elegance compared to that of an m-bike.
I think part of the fun is lost when ridding a motorcycle due to the fact that anyone can go out and buy one and then ride it. Yea sure you can find some pre-built motorized bikes, but for the most part you have to do it yourself. This is part of the joy in knowing what you ride you put together, be it a kit or a DIY bike.

... the joy in knowing what you ride you put together...
There's also the attention. Usually it's good, and I'm sure we all get visual attention we never know about too.

In terms of attention beginning a conversation: If it's from someone with a mechanical inclination, then I'm proud & ready to explain. But if it's from a real dummy (sometimes trying to impress me), then I'd rather not waste my time educating.

Unfortunately, so far, it doesn't seem like an m-bike is much of a babe magnet. I suppose you have to borrow a puppy from somebody for that. Hmmm... You could put the puppy in your basket, I suppose.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Motorized bikes are a novelty/hobby/local transportation. Motorcycles are powerful, fast, and worst of all... more common :) But really a motorcycle is more in the category of cars because they are used for longer distance transportation.

This is how I see it, so take it with a grain of salt ;)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

I'd like to ride a motorcycle, but I'd end up getting myself into more trouble then it's worth. :D

I love my motorized bicycle because it passes Tacomas and is loud as a dirt bike.

or a pissed off chainsaw..lol

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Motorized bikes are a novelty/hobby/local transportation. Motorcycles are powerful, fast, and worst of all... more common :) But really a motorcycle is more in the category of cars because they are used for longer distance transportation.
Apples and oranges yes, two distinct categories and I agree that distinction is well to acknowledge.

For me the definitions are a motorized bicycle is 50cc and under, lightweight not much more than 50 lbs, nimble, and should retain the most of efficient functionality of the original bicycle. This keeps them fun and would keep them legal in a majority of jurisdictions and pretty much under the radar of legal scrutiny.

MCs are a step up to a legitimate motor vehicle class, those added responsibilities come with the added benefits/options of covering longer distances with ease, dependable commuting, the ability to carry a passenger and/or more gear.

I have both and both have their place but one will not replace the other.
As far as elegance, I do not ever think the of '81 BMW R65 I have as anything other than sublimely elegant.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX

For me, like others, it is about application. I use my motorcycle to commute to work on sunny days and get out in the country on the weekends. I used to hit the track with my old bike, but that was many moons ago.

I use my eBike (since I have yet to build another gas bike) for errands close by.

I drive my cage as a last resort, LOL.

Which is more fun? If I am looking for a slow paced cruise just to feel the breeze, motorized bicycle, hands down. For some aggressive, hard cornering fun? Motorcycle.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Nehmo, if it has crossed your mind, ya gotta try riding one.

The power and speed can be a real exhilaration. "More fun"? I dunno. When I was younger and immortal, was fun! Now, the last time I rode a MC, just couldn't enjoy it thinking about the family needing my income and not needing to spoon feed me for life sort of deal. Really did ruin it for me.

But, ya thought it and ya have to try it.

One of those things. It is either your thing or not.

Personally, I really do find MBs more fun. The speed, or lack of it lets me look around and see the side of the road and path.

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico

I now Im new but dude you can make a motorized bicycle look like start out the 1890s you'll be turning all the girls heads because every girl loves a guy on a motorize bike can you see yourself riding with WWII goggles and a golf cap turned backwards like the cool kids.