Can't get it running..... need help!!

GoldenMotor.com

newbikerleo92

Sep 16, 2012
Guelph Ontario
i just got a new china 2 stroke. Grubee skyhawk 66/80cc. not sure which it didnt specify. thats just what it said.

I put it all together and I had it running the other night. I was taking it real slow. Without throttle... it did maybe 15km/hour. some throttle maybe 20 km/hr. I plan on doing a soft break in. Today I tried to run it and it will not run at all..... I can get it to start but I need a hill or me pedalling really hard to keep the engine running. There is no torque. it will not pull or do anything. I finally had it going somehow and after about a minute it quit because I accidentally forgot to turn the fuel valve on. dumb... after that could not get it to start again. i have to pedal to keep it going. Which after about 200 metres or so gets really tiring. I have tried choking and not choking.... half choking.... i have tried screwing the adjuster pin on the carb all the way in and out and half. It seems to work best when all the way in. I cant find the problem. Is it just because its new?? do I have to pedal the first couple kilometers to get it running properly?

it ran the first night why wont it run now?? Any help at all will be appreciated? Ask me anything about it and i will let you know thanks!!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Which carb do you have?
You seem to be describing the symptoms of a very flooded engine.
Does it have spark?
If you remove the spark plug after trying to start the engine to inspect it, is the spark plug wet or dry?

newbikerleo92

Sep 16, 2012
Guelph Ontario
my mix ratio is 20 to 1. I think it may be flooded. If the choke is up is it off? im running the stock carb. I will go check color of spark. it definitely sparks.

newbikerleo92

Sep 16, 2012
Guelph Ontario
the plug was wet. but not very wet. I think it is flooded. What should I do to prevent it from flooding. I really have no idea how it works. I have only played with the choke and idle screw. I dont know how they should be set or what I should do to make it not flood. Should choke lever be up or down? I have no idea......

Last edited:

newbikerleo92

Sep 16, 2012
Guelph Ontario
Yeah I was running the whole time with the choke on!!!! really stupid. Now it is going really well. It takes a bit to start though.... I need to pedal for maybe 100 yards or so.... or use a downhill to get it going. once it gets warmed up she purrs like a kitty.

Just wondering..... Should it start and idle right away or is it normal that it takes a little effort to get it going?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
if you have a fresh plug it should help that yours might be getting clogged up with oil 20:1 isnt a super high mix (16:1 is super high) but its higher than alot of bikes like try 25:1 and a fresh plug

and choke off:)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It should not be very hard at all to get started.
A fouled spark plug, intake leak, bad carb state of tune, weak spark all will contribute to a hard starting engine. I am not saying that any of these are your problem, just things to consider when diagnosing the little beast.

newbikerleo92

Sep 16, 2012
Guelph Ontario
Sorry. i said that wrong. It isnt having trouble starting. Once it is started i have to help it along a bit before the throttle will work. and it wont idle right away either. like i said about 100 yards or a hill and it gets warmed up and goes no prob. but when its fresh and cold I need to help it a bit. It starts... purrs.... but wont pull (throttle does nothing) for about a hundred yards of hard pedalling. then it slowly starts popping a bit and then gets going..... It is a brand new engine.... less than 15 miles on it. 20kms. i should be using a rich mix for the first 50 miles or so.... shouldnt I? I will run at least a tank through before getting a leaner mix. And also a quick question? how do you balance your rear sprocket. I spun the wheel (chain off) and watched it and tightened until it seemed pretty straight. still not perfect but pretty good. how important is that?

Thanks for all your tips and advice guys I really appreciate it. .shft.
LOVE THE NEW BIKE!!!!
also.... how long should i wait before really giving it a strong run and topping it out. I have been pretty gentle on it so far. just over half throttle. drn2

newbikerleo92

Sep 16, 2012
Guelph Ontario
I really just want it to idle right away. It should idle as soon as it starts right?? or wrong?

Also... killswitch is not working. checked wires... its wired properly. it just wont kill. so I have to stall it everytime to turn it off. Is that bad? sorry so many questions I am really new with the bike and want to know a lot about it so I can keep it well maintained. Also, my friend has one and he is not....... mechanically inclined sooooooo i want to help him with his so we can ride together. I still want mine to be faster though lol.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Most engines, when first started while stone cold, need to have the choke partially on to idle. The slightly rich mixture overcomes the poor fuel vaporization when the engine is not hot. As the engine heats up the fuel vaporized quite readily due to the hot engine internals and then the choke must be turned off.
As for needing to fight it for 100 yards, that seems like a carburetor tuning issue.
Do a search on this site for "carb tuning". You will get a "zillion" threads on the subject.
Oh, by the way, I am assuming that you have an NT carb? What carb do you have?

digitalgodd

Aug 15, 2012
Minnesota
You may want to check that your carb is level. Look from the back of the bike towards your carb and make sure the bowl is straight level just eyeball it. Then make sure your engine is seated correctly so that the carb fuel bowl looks level when looking at it from the side of your bike. Make sure your bike is standing straight vertically and not leaning to the side on the kickstand while doing this. Stand the bike against your garage that's what I do.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The carburetor doesn't have to be perfectly level. In fact most installations will require a slight incline. You can accommodate for this by adjusting the float level.

The OP also asked about his rear sprocket and if it needs to be true. YES! Any wobble either horizontally or vertically will cause you problems. The sprocket must run true and be concentric with the rear hub. Chain tension and alignment is also critical.

Tom