How do I find EB 110 rear hub parts?

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi everybody.
Upon cleaning of the rear hub bearings from my Worksman rear wheel. I noticed bearing damage. I found replacement balls on ebay, however one of the bearing cones is damaged. Does any one know if anyone sells individual parts for these hubs.
I have also bent two of the 3/8 x 24 axles on this wheel. This is unacceptable, and I will get some 4140 alloy bar and make a run of replacement axles. I'm not sure if they are using the best material for them. I will either use 4140 or go even higher to 4340 steel. I'll get them heat treated, like a grade 8 bolt would be done to.

-Fred

.shft.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hmm. A whole new hub eh? I've been avoiding building wheels, but I guess I'll have to take that on soon! I'll look for a replacement hub and see what that costs in comparison to a completely new wheel.
-Fred
auflg

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What kind of hub are you looking for. Front, rear, coaster, disk. What brakes do you have now?

I've just had 3 different kinds of wheels made for be.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
New wheels should be high on everyones MB accessory list. Very few bicycles come stock with wheels that are adequate for the demands of a MB

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Alright! I'm a tard!
I'm calling my Worksman wheel hub a Shimano EB-110. WRONG, it's a E-110. Now, when I search for that on Ebay, lots of results come up. So I am good for getting parts. Thanks everybody! Well, my wheel problems are not over; I just took a nice fast 45 MPH ride on a pretty good road, and I already have a bent axle! I just installed the axle, brand new!
I am going to start a new thread on a low cost way to get a better rear wheel hub.

:-||

-Fred

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The rear wheel hub is not the problem. Going 45 on a public road on a bicycle, and you bent an axle? Take the hint. Slow down lol.

You can get a stronger axle. Then your forks might break. You can get stronger forks. Then your frame might break. When you need moped parts to fix your bicycle, what you probably need is a moped.

Now could you get me a ladder? This soap box just got pretty high lol.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
crmachineman, I have a shimano clone hub on a double walled steel rim with 12g spokes. I got this wheel for $45 on ebay. Unfortunately, the ebay store that sold this wheel is no longer in business, but my point is that you should be able to find a heavy-duty wheel for a reasonable price. What biknut is trying to say is that if you see scratches on the bearing races, you need a new wheel. if the races are not scratched, then you shouldnt need a new wheel. I am frankly surprised to hear that a worksman wheel is not holding up. my rim is no worksman, and its held up great for almost 3 years. It does need to get trued, but its not terribly warped. you could pretty much expect a little stress on the spokes after almost 3 years.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just want to make sure you know this, the races and the cones are two different things. the races are the part of the hub that the bearings face. the cones are the part that screw onto the axle and hold the bearings in place. I am not sure how big of a deal a damaged cone is, but damaged bearing races can be a safety hazard. the scratches on the races will eventually turn into divots, and eventually a bearing will get caught in a divot. when that happens, your bike stops moving and you dont. but like I said I dont know if a damaged cone is a safety hazard or not. perhaps someone else can chime in here.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, thanks for the heads up on that.
My wheel is fine for now. I replaced the ball that got damaged, and I re-machined the cone that received some damage on the race as well. That was an interesting thing to do! So far it's okay, but I don't expect it to last as a new one would because it's a case hardened part. I've been dealing with bearings and the lubrication of those things for some time now, so I'm pretty comfortable about analyzing wear. I was fortunate to find the races in the hub were nice and smooth.

You are absolutely right though, if the races in the hub are damaged, you are in trouble.

I have a lot of weight on the back wheel and my bike is getting really fast. This is causing me trouble with the axles getting bent. I believe this is what caused the bearing damage. The roads out here in the country are not perfect, so I'm finding that it is stressing the axle beyond what it can handle. I'll probably try to make some ultra high strength axles hopefully soon as long as I can make the time to do so.

.xx.

-Fred

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Bending the axles is probably what damaged the bearings. Worksman wheels are some of the strongest out there, but I dont know if any coaster brake can handle 45mph. I would go with an alloy axle for some flexibility. If you use straight steel, it may be brittle. When you put excessive force on it, if it doesnt flex, it could just snap right in half. you may be better off eliminating the coaster brake. a moped hub should have a drum, which is better than a coaster for your speeds. I would suggest breaking the drum in before going 45. new drums take a little while for the shoes to wear enough to grab really hard. if you get a used hub, the drum should already be broken in.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Right.
A moped hub would be awesome. I just haven't figured out which one to get. I need a little time to tackle that job. I was alternatively thinking about making a simple hub without a brake at all. I rarely use the rear brake much. I guess it's a little scary not having an emergency brake if the front brake failed for whatever reason.

-Fred