throttle info.

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a Z280cc which is new.The Info that I need is with it running down the road how do you get it from revving up when squeezing the clutch but it does come down too pretty quick.I don't like it doing the revving thing tho.It's a nt speed carb.Info would help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That is a symptom of an air (vacuum) leak, probably at the carburetor where it attaches to the intake manifold, or, the manifold to the cylinder. Those are the most common places to start looking.

With the engine idling, spray a mist of water around those areas. The idle speed will decrease if the engine is drawing in air.
We always suggest that the carb be sealed to the intake and the intake manifold gasket be replaced with a good quality gasket material instead of the kit supplied one.

There are other areas to look at but start there. Also make sure your throttle/cable is working smoothly and there is no binding in any parts. Cable should not be kinked or bent sharply or tied too tightly to the frame. The slide, or barrel in the carb must travel smoothly and fully up and down when you twist the throttle grip. You can remove the air cleaner and watch the slide as you twist the throttle. It should close nearly completely with only a small gap at the bottom in the idle position.
Good luck.

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Wan, I would first check to be sure your slide is backing off all the way. If thats okay next I would check for a vaccum leak which I suspect is whats going on.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well I thought it could be a air leak but when I put the choke on it dies right away so I thought I have no air leaks.I do have a o ring in the carb intake.I have also sprayed it with starting fluid like every where else haven't found a leak.I will try to spray it again with water or wd40 or starting fluid.I was thinking the throttle cable might be to short but not for sure just thought this tho.