Gnarley-Davidson

GoldenMotor.com

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I just bought an engine for my bike, so I guess the build has started. I had thought about getting a 4-stroke kit, then I saw something awesome on youtube: Johnson Iron Horse - YouTube so I bought one. It was made in the 30s or 40s. Its a 4-stroke and pretty awesome, imo.

I guess it'll be a bit more work to get the bike up and running, but at least it'll be unique.

I'm calling the bike the Gnarley-Davidson because I've wanted a Harley for a while now, just can't afford it and I'll be getting a Sportster peanut tank for the bike. Yeah, yeah so the only Harley part'll be the tank, but Hardly-Davidson is so overused. Heh.

- Z

Here's a sketch of what I have in mind for those that haven't seen it.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thats going to be a challenge to get in a bicycle frame if thats the route you go , but a guaranteed hit when it fits an works .
Gary

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thats going to be a nice ride. I see you are going to use Monark forks, just make sure you get a set that have been re-welded in the crown area. Unwelded ones have been known to collapse while riding.

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
thats going to be a challenge to get in a bicycle frame if thats the route you go , but a guaranteed hit when it fits an works .
Gary
Thanks, yeah, may need to have a new bottom tube made that stretches downward a bit. I'll find out tomorrow when I get the engine (two weeks early!!!). I'm stoked, to say the least. Now I need to save for the next set of parts.

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thats going to be a nice ride. I see you are going to use Monark forks, just make sure you get a set that have been re-welded in the crown area. Unwelded ones have been known to collapse while riding.
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I had planned on getting them from Venice Motorbikes as well as other parts.

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thats going to be AWESOME love them old kick start.............Curt
Thanks Curt! When I got to the post office today and they said its still out with the carrier and the slip they put in the mail today to pick it up had the wrong date. They put today's date instead of tomorrows for pick up. I was so bummed.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
watched the video and the rotation is that you will have the engine slanted toward the front. Shroud on the left side,and you can drive off eather side. Thats KOOOOOL......Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like that engine a lot. Was that the same company that made the outboard motors? About what horsepower would it be? I see in your illustration chain drive. Belt would be nice I think. However you do it, it's going to be unique. I like seeing different motors being used, especially the old ones.
SB

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
watched the video and the rotation is that you will have the engine slanted toward the front. Shroud on the left side,and you can drive off eather side. Thats KOOOOOL......Curt
Those were all things I noticed when I saw it. I was like "I HAVE to have one of those."

I like that engine a lot. Was that the same company that made the outboard motors? About what horsepower would it be? I see in your illustration chain drive. Belt would be nice I think. However you do it, it's going to be unique. I like seeing different motors being used, especially the old ones.
SB
I believe it is the same company, based on what I've read while researching the engine. I haven't found anything specific to my model, but I've seen 5/8 HP, and 1.38-2.5 HP. The site that says 5/8 HP says it runs at 1750-1800 rpm, so I need to find a centrifugal clutch that will work with it.

The sketch was done way before I had decided what engine I wanted and whether or not I wanted belt drive. I've pretty much decided to go with a chain.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
SB
http://www.asecc.com/data/iron/

Im with Silverbear, I really like this engine..... ill be following this one

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'll have to say that is a sweet motor. Here in Canada, Iron Horse was highly respected as a lawn mower motor with a reputation for lasting for a very long time.

I too, will be watching this build.

Steve.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That motor is governed to 1800 rpm. prolly could easily run to 3600 without the gov. You will have trouble finding a clutch that will engage at a lower rpm than 1800.

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.asecc.com/data/iron/

Im with Silverbear, I really like this engine..... ill be following this one
Thanks! Any info or advice you could provide as I move along with the build would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the link, unfortunately it wont open for me. :/

I'll have to say that is a sweet motor. Here in Canada, Iron Horse was highly respected as a lawn mower motor with a reputation for lasting for a very long time.

I too, will be watching this build.

Steve.
Cool! Glad to hear it has a good reputation. Makes me feel a lot better about a semi-blind purchase. :)

That motor is governed to 1800 rpm. prolly could easily run to 3600 without the gov. You will have trouble finding a clutch that will engage at a lower rpm than 1800.
So I've heard. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The link works for me so im not sure.

Welcome to help anytime, like i was telling you i never really 100% tried to find a centrifugal clutch that would work with my motor, but as yet i havent seen or heard of one that would work..... but Wayne said your engines governed to 1800, so if you were to lift the restriction (providing no damage would be done) and a centrifugal clutch may work.

I was telling you about how i overcame this problem with my Villiers that has about the same rpm range..... its a simple handclutch and works just fine.

Wayne pointed out you may have a problem finding a clutch, but like i was telling you earlier, you will also need a jackshaft to get the right reduction for the engine whether you choose a centrifugal clutch or not.

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ah, didn't recognize the screen name. Heh. Yeah, even if I could find a cent clutch I think a hand clutch would be sick. I'll look into both and have to make a decision. But the hand clutch was pretty easy, you say?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The jackshaft is more work, and unless im mistaken youll need one or you wont be able to get that reduction i was talking about to make your bike ridable.

The hand clutch was very cheap and easy to make. You dont even really need a welder if you dont have one (i probably overbuilt the clutch arm), though id advise buying a mig welder if you are doing a build like this, because you can save money, learn a lot and take more pride in your ride.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
One other thing would be to step up the RPM's 1 to 2 and put the clutch on the jack shaft. But then you would have to have the right size sproket on the rear to get the gearing right...............Curt