Don't know, how loud?

GoldenMotor.com

scruffy

Sep 25, 2011
Hinesville ga
Was wondering how loud are these motors. Do a lot of camping and I think I could really get into this. It's in my price range and looks fun.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. With the muffler supplied in the motor kit, both 2 and four strokes are quieter than a lawn mower. Weed eater motors are loud no matter how you use them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The 4 stroke (four cycle) engines are typically quieter than the 2 stroke but with the proper mufflers even the 2 strokes are not that loud. It's when people start modifying the exhaust systems that the noise begins to become annoying to others.
The longer the pipe, the quieter the exhaust noise especially with the 2 stroke engines.
Tom

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
as long as your muffler is properly attached it wont be that loud. its hard to tell how loud it really is when i ride because i wear a full face motorcycle helmet. if your looking for a quiet style look into electric motors.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Relatively speaking, they're loud motors. At least the 2-strokes are. But from what I've heard from people, the sound doesn't penetrate through houses. In that sense I don't think they're that bad sound wise. The weed whackers people use in my neighborhood tend to be louder.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My HS 4-stroke is borderline too loud. Not just the engine noise itself, but the exhaust, too. I'm running a cylindrical Briggs muffler that's made for a large motor tho, it's barely a muffler. The exhaust tone is the same with straightpipe, but the sound doesn't bounce off every building on the street when I run muffler. A GXH50 is a much much quieter engine, but it's exhaust can snarl every bit as much!

Also, it helps to have your exhaust pointing down, preferably at the street. If you want to be a chucklehead and point it up in the air, it's naturally going to be louder to everyone around you. :D

Loud pipes don't save lives when your neighbors want to shoot you everytime you ride!

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I have an expansion chamber and I have it as quiet as can be. When it is ideling or just cruising it is pretty quiet. When I get on the throttle and go fast it comes to life and it sounds like a 125 dirt bike.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Every time i come back from a ride, i ask my sister if she heard my motor when i took off and when i came back, she said nope. Same with my grandparents. I ride a 66cc 2 stroke. I dont rev out of the ordinary. When i get on my street, i give it throttle and hold the clutch just a little so itll idle and turn off the petcock so i can burn up all the gas in the engine. Keeps the engine in good shape if u dont leave any gas in the engine for any amount of time.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome, Most of the power plant motors in RV's are just as loud as our bikes. Stock exaust. I took mine behind my Motorhome and No one ever complained I know of. (c)

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
my bike can be loud. i have a small banana grubee expansion chamber.
when i have some money i am either getting a chamber/muffler combo or attach a muffler.
it is only loud when i go fast.
we live in a trailer & my dad says he didn't here me drive off or come home.
so if not driving fast, it can be quiet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Stock and at 3/4 throttle where they are designed to be run, (the WOT guys shall remain nameless. snicker, making fun of my self) are not bad at all. Around 22MPH. All your fellow campers are gonna want to ride her. Is great fun watching folks come back from their first ride grinning from ear to ear.

I have to disagree with pointing a muffler down. It will actually "bounce" the sound (echo) most especially off paved road. Is why first responder's sirens are placed low on vehicles. Can "skip" the sound waves like a stone and will travel better.

motorcycle exhaust - Google Search

Few point directly down like our China girls. Always annoyed me. Is part of the noise of em. I never got around to it but will soon. Buy a sound meter and really test em. One 2 stroke with exhaust tubing at the end and pointed aft. Also, I have always wondered how the 4s are in regard to the 2 smokes. I personally enjoy their sound much more. More of a hum like a lawnmower.

Post lots of pics!

Attachments

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I have to disagree with pointing a muffler down. It will actually "bounce" the sound (echo) most especially off paved road. Is why first responder's sirens are placed low on vehicles. Can "skip" the sound waves like a stone and will travel better.
Disagree all ya like, but asphalt has a diffusing effect on sound waves due to it's surface. Sounds travels faster through air than reflecting off the rough surface of asphalt. It's not like rocks in a canyon; it's surface is even more granular and porous. Also, first responder sirens are placed where they are because they project sound like a powerful speaker - vehicles are in the cone front and rear - not because, as you claim, the sound reflective properties of asphalt.

The loudest horns don't point down. They point so that their cone of sound has maximum effect.

Buy a sound meter and really test em. One 2 stroke with exhaust tubing at the end and pointed aft. Also, I have always wondered how the 4s are in regard to the 2 smokes. I personally enjoy their sound much more. More of a hum like a lawnmower.
I don't have a decibel meter, but when I converted my 4-stroke's exhaust to flexpipe, I played around with the muffler position quite a bit. It was quietest when pointing down when I was 50 feet away, but I just couldn't get it to look good. Hence, it's the way it is now. I still plan on putting a 90-degree elbow for a tip out of the muffler, I'll report on that when I get around to it.

dan is right.
the same reason makes sound carry across lakes & pools.
I don't think he is. And the surface of water is nothing like asphalt. Besides, I still believe that an exhaust pointed perpendicular (or near to it) to water would be quieter at a distance than an exhaust pointed parallel with the surface of water. It's just physics.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Nashville, that dampening material does really help with the noise. I was thinking about putting muffler steel wools and packing it in my stock muffler. I'm not sure were to pack it though since it will fall off. I also don't want to restrict the flow and causing my engine to over heat. Any input would be much appreciated.