Holy, it’s fast!

GoldenMotor.com

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I recently had an insight into how really fast my motorized bike is.

I ride both a motorized bike and also a pedal bike. I ride more hours on the pedal bike, but ride more miles on the motor bike.

Sure, I look at the speedometer and know the motorized bike goes faster. It goes 30 mph, whereas I have to work pretty hard to pedal at 15 mph. But the true is, my motorized bike doesn’t really feel all that much faster.

Well, on the back streets that I usually ride on, I can pretty much keep up with cars on my motorized bike. I just fall in behind a car and can usually stay there.

Yesterday I was riding my pedal bike and the cars were zooming by me like they always do. And I thought to myself, on my motorized bike I would be keeping up with those cars. Then I imagined what I would look like on my bike keeping up with the cars. The image was of a bike going incredibly fast. I thought, holy s***, my motorized bike is soooo much faster!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
when i hit about 30mph i'm not worried as much as the speed itself. it is how fast the engine is spinning.
being the engine is directly chained to the hub, i keep worrying about the engine failing & locking up. then the back tire would lock up.

i use to drive my vespa 75-80mph down I95. sometimes the adrenaline would hit me & i would be like,"heck yea.". then after about 5 min the adrenaline is gone & it leaves you emotional & scared. so i then would be flying down the highway shaking & my eyes crying. it didn't make me slow down.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
One time that I'll never forget is when I was laying in the middle of a gravel road with a Cushman motor scooter on top of me.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
OMG. i heard a story about a cushman scooter that had it's first ethanol mixed fuel & woke up the next day & said it found itself on top of some dude in the middle of a gravel road.
that was you? lol

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
when i hit about 30mph i'm not worried as much as the speed itself. it is how fast the engine is spinning.
being the engine is directly chained to the hub, i keep worrying about the engine failing & locking up. then the back tire would lock up.

i use to drive my vespa 75-80mph down I95. sometimes the adrenaline would hit me & i would be like,"heck yea.". then after about 5 min the adrenaline is gone & it leaves you emotional & scared. so i then would be flying down the highway shaking & my eyes crying. it didn't make me slow down.
This is too true and too funny I can relate lol.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I get funny looks from the cagers all the time when they realise not only can I keep up, I can pass sometimes. It's priceless. I do a sort of 'pedaling casually' motion to go along with it as well. The biggest problem I have comes from the ones that come up behind me and then pace me instead of passing. It can get a little freaky sometimes having someone stay on your back left like that.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I didn't add a motor to my bike because I didn't want to pedal. I added the motor to help me pedal faster. Pedaling along keeps you warmer in the winter, too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I didn't add a motor to my bike because I didn't want to pedal. I added the motor to help me pedal faster. Pedaling along keeps you warmer in the winter, too.
I flat out give up on anything Motorized as bikes go in the winter here. I start to peddling lol.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'll wait and see what the winter brings... here it's mostly wet usually, but occaisionally we get a skim coat of snow to liven things up. In high school I used to ride in the snow, but where I live now I won't even drive in it unless I have to because of how bad the drivers are.