not sure what im doing

GoldenMotor.com

rideforlife

Mar 18, 2010
ashland,Oregon
Please bear with me this all a learning experience for me. So I un bolted my head bolts and pulled off my head to paint it black.Now I am trying to figure out how to get the head back on. The piston rings seem to be getting in the way as I try to slip the head back on. Should the rings aroung the piston have no gap between the ends,did I break them while slipping the head off.
I was told that i need to aline the little pins that are in the piston with each ring but i am lost. any help would be gratefull.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think your terminology is wrong. The cylinder head is the finned part on top of the cylinder where the spark plug goes. The cylinder, sometimes referred to as the "jug" is the lower portion of the finned part. If you pull the cylinder off the engine case, or block, the piston rings will expand and require that they be compressed to get them back in the cylinder. This requires some careful work or you'll break the rings. Also the rings must be aligned with the small pins that protrude from the ring grooves in the pistons. Examine the piston and rings and you'll see how they should align.
Take your time and don't force anything and you'll get things back together.
If you need more help, come back and ask before you break something. We're here to help.
Tom