New builder from Tucson, AZ

GoldenMotor.com

Peter10

Sep 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I am waiting for my 66cc 2 cycle motor kit to arrive I have a Chinese made Huffy "Key largo" cruiser bike in almost new condition ready to be powered. i have read several great threads to make the job easier and am looking forward to it. Wish me luck!

Attachments

Peter10

Sep 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
My bike is complete it took 5 1/2 hours and went together with little problem. One of the main down tubes was larger in diameter than the motor mount. I had to file a 1/16 of an inch off each side of the tube which I was not crazy about but once I did that it all fit pretty well. The stock fender were too wide and I took them off. I have heard they can be a safety problem anyway. Once put together it started right up. The idle was way to high and I found an air leak at the carb / intake tube. I wrapped some plumbers teflon tape and reattached the carb and now. The idle settled down on the next road test. Lastly I took it for three short test rides. On the third I heard a "pop" sound and the rear tire got all fishy. I found I had poped the inter tube. At closer inspection the metal cord holding the tire to the rim separated created a bulge where the inner tube poked though. The tires were cracked mostly from sitting out side for a couple of years in the hot sun. I replaced both front and rear tubes and tires. The new once are Kevlar reinforced. They should work out better. In looking back maybe a new Walmart bike would have been a better choice. At any rate it runs well. The engine is not too loud. The gear and chain noise is louder. Anyone have a way to reduce that noise? I had it up to 28mph on a level road. I feel better keeping at 20 or lower for safeties sake. Tomorrow I'll try it again with the new tires, that may make a difference. At any rate 20 mph is plenty fast for me. All in all not a bad little project. I'll upload a picture of the finished project in a day or so.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Welcome,Peter.Glad to have another member enjoying their MB keep an eye on things and post if you need any help.Also keep an eye on your rear wheel they have a reputation of falling apart under braking.Kip.