First Motorized Bicycle Point Beach

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
After I helped a friend build an motorized bicycle on a Cranbrook I decided I needed one also

This is my first build in the learning process of building an old Norton-esque retro cruiser

Red Flash had her for about a week and a half and only three mishaps so far
Welcome to Facebook

The little blue thing is going to sacrifice itself to a greater calling

sradabaugh

Aug 5, 2010
South Florida
Re: First MB Point Beach

I just finished my first build on a Point Beach. Probably 1/2 gal into breakin process and loving it. Planning my next build already :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Just a side note, the front fender gives out purty quick. Should be removed or shored up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Awesome Dude, glad to hear. I would suggest beefing em up if you want them to stay. 6K, had a bunch. (of problems) The tab is just bent into an "L" and it's weakest point is sand, salt and sprayed with water at it's apex. Can easily make a bracket. Some great pics of a PB after a tab failure; http://motorbicycling.com/f11/front-fender-problem-motorized-bicycle-289.html

My MoonDawg; http://motorbicycling.com/f11/another-tale-fender-failure-10191.html They were some really stout fenders.

Forum search on fenders. Not a whole lot on "still fine" fender - Google Search

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla

I have followed the fender failure threads with a lot of interest

This thing gets driven about 4 blocks to the store on Saturdays for now anyway

The controls are just too busy to be safe
With the gear shift where it's at the rear brake lever can only be grabbed naturally with my pointing finger and the clutch lever interferes with a panic stop grab of the front brake

I bought a shimano thumb shifter that I am going to mount under the seat on the post and need to get a dual cable lever to get past the braking issues

I have the brackets to shore up the fender but for now with the limited action it gets it is holding firm and I check it on every ride

Surprisingly it is the rear fender that came unscrewed at the frame

I was going to give this to my son until I started reading about the frame cracking issues with these bikes

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa

i built a riverside for my firs was a good bike close to the point beach a tip for the front motor mount sbp make things alot easier for the 20 bucks check all and i mean all of the bearings for grease and tightness check the spokes for tightness after the first tank or so check and double check the sprocket for tightness and chain before each and every ride the kit recomends the use of synthetic oil trust me didnt use it on the first bike im on my second one now and the diff is night and day most motorcycle shops carry it if you cant find it walmart sells poulan synthetic oil its not on the shelves by the oil its usualy by the lawn and garden near the weed whackers take youre time and wear a helmet for gods sake it saved my life ten years ago in a 30mph motocycle accident. im not a pro bike builder but theese are all of the problems i had with my first build cause i thought i knew it all 20 years exp on motorcycles and working on them all will do that to you. theese things are fun but remember they arent toys the guys on here are super helpfull so i took thier advise and it helped me a lot ride on bro

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla

Yeah KLB I spent over a month in the hospital with a shattered face ad a slightly broken back about 15 years ago

This re-fascination with two wheeled motored things is not going over well with the wife at all

As far as oil
I'm using Gumout 2 Cycle at about 4 oz to a gallon

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa

if you go into the rat rod section of this forum there is a link to my phoyobucket that has pics of my riverside that i traded to my artist for ink work but im definatly proud of my secon build i took junk and made a realy cool bike i love the when people come up to me and ask where i bought it i tell them that i found most of the parts on the side of the road and in the trash wich is true, got bout 225 into it including the shipping price the motor was originaly put on a wally world cran brook but it proved itself to be a tird grinder within 1 mile litteraly blown hub realy crappy brakes and chain alignment problems

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY

I give all mine a good look over, every week. It's the broken frame threads that I just noticed and am concerned about. I don't go offroading or anything, but there are a couple good bumps on my way to work.

I work about 2 miles from my house and tested my bike after having drilled large holes above the cat. Had my cellphone in a pouch and inside the rear basket and one of those bumps sent it out bouncing and sliding. The GPS read 35.6 and I'm very impressed that the phone (that had complaints about its frailty ~ LG Expo) survived. Looks pretty rough now, though...