Don't be fooled by petcock valve.

GoldenMotor.com

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Some kits have a fuel petcock valve that has a "reserve" spot on it. I ran into one very recently and I tested it on the tank it came with.
There is no reserve and the "reserve" position works identically as the on position. I proved this point by filling fuel tank and running fuel from on position until non trickled out and then switching to reserve. Tank was then moved into a variety of positions to see if its position would allow reserve to flow out. NONE DID.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm using a petcock valve fron a ATV and it has a reserve. Mine work's great, it's not really a reserve....it just let's you know you are about out of fuel.

It's just a long screen inside the tank with a top inlet and a bottom inlet...the top inlet being the "on" position...when the fuel level goes below the top inlet, you run out of fuel and turn it to the "reserve" and starts to use the fuel from the bottom inlet...
:ride2:

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
A reserve would be nice. I typically carry spare fuel in one of those camping fuel bottles you can get cheap at walmart. I made mistake of velcroing one directly on a frame tube and it rubbed off the paint I now use doublesided foam tape to prevent this from happening.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If I'm going on a long trip, I switch my tank out for motorcycle tank that is 2 1/2 gallon's...you can go a long way with 2 1/2 gallons.

I don't leave it on all the time because it's to big and look's silly :oops:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
What tank do you use the one of the MX80? Got a pic of it on your MB?
I lost that tank years ago, who know's what I did with it?? The 2 1/2 tank that I use is off a 1985 Honda 200X...I also have a 1 1/2 gallon tank off a 1982 YZ125. I've not mounted that one on my daily commuter so I don't have it set up for that frame. I did use that one on my full suspension bike before I sold it.

I use roll bar padding for the channel so it's nice and snug on my top rail..and a snap clamp?? I think that's what they call it...I took it off some old fire extinguisher mount's...They have streched and having trouble with them so I need to come up with something else.

The 200X tank is still the original white...I hate to paint it because it's in great shape and it remind's me of my youth. But I think if I paint it black it will match the frame and not stick out so much and hopefully not look so silly.

I don't remember taking any pic's of that tank mounted....I'll have to search my PC..it might be burried somewhere.. I have not gone on any long trip's in a while so I have not mounted it lately.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I found some pic's. Look's like this is when I was test fiting them so this was several years ago. Now you can see what I mean about silly...But hey! it get's the job done...I'll get some more pic's when it is painted up and mounted on my next long trip. I'm starting to think, who cares what it look's like...it is a pain in the butt to keep changing tanks.