Combo Brake and Clutch Lever. Any Good?

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I was thinking about getting one of those combo brake and clutch levers with the thumb lever for the clutch. Are they any good? If so, which one is a good one to use?

Thanks,
Pat

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
personally I have the dual brake lever and the clutch solo. I just don't trust that whole set up. if you use two fingers to "pull" the brake and use your thumb to "push" the other lever, you don't have a very good handle on things then. No pun intended. I mean you are exerting force in two directions at the same time. When both actions are equally important. In a crisis are you really going to be able to control everything at once? I do not have experience with this set up. I just personally don't trust it. I am sure someone here is using it and will be able to give their opinion.

Just remember...Opinions are like a**holes, Everyone has one. Some just stink more than others.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm inclined to agree w/dag - but like him I haven't had one so it's just theory... but a lot of these engine kits have pretty stiff clutches (at least at first) and I wonder about such a lil lever doing such a big job *shrug*

However - if it's the one I've seen pics of, I'm pretty sure it's just a regular brake and shifter combo ofn a mountain bike with the shifter lever used as the clutch lever, you could save a few bucks & experiment if ya have an old one kicking about.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
have you try the new trothle and brake combination this will leave you clucth lever alone and you could have the brake lever with throtle assembly attach all in one unit this is just a sugestion

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
2 Yrs Ago I Bought 5 Of The Atv Dual Brake Thumb Throttle With Brake Lite Wires. I Have One On My Shifter Bike, It Works Smooth And Much Better Than The Twist Throttle Or The Finger Throttle`s. Did Not Think I Would Like It Before Using It. Now Would Not Want Anything Else. Have Had Many Motorcycles With The Twist Throttle. Ron

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
have you try the new trothle and brake combination this will leave you clucth lever alone and you could have the brake lever with throtle assembly attach all in one unit this is just a sugestion
My new build needs 2 brake levers (front and rear), a clutch lever and a throttle. On my first bike the rear hub ground out the inside of the coaster brake arm (where they spline together) then the rear bearings became loose. This happened after only 350 miles of use. I want to try to stay away from the coaster on my second build.

A dual pull brake lever & stock clutch lever is the best way to go! (^)
Ive thought about those, but the idea of having all my stopping actuation tied together on one piece of equipment is a little unsettling.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Use The Centrifical Clutch, So I Could Install A Backup Brake Lever On The Left And Us A Front Shoc Fork With A Disc And Rim Brake. But I Have Gotten Comfortable With The Dual Brake Lever And It Has Come In Very Handy A Couple Of Times When Motorists Pulled Out Rite In Front Of Me. It Gives You Little Time To Think. I Guess They Are Not Expecting A Bicycle To Approch With Our Speed. The Thumb Throttle Is So Smooth With The Twist Shifter On The Left And Effortless. Am In The Process Of Installing One On My Titan Cvt Build. The Cheap Finger Throttle Has Ruined A Cable Already. Ron

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I Use The Centrifical Clutch, So I Could Install A Backup Brake Lever On The Left And Us A Front Shoc Fork With A Disc And Rim Brake. But I Have Gotten Comfortable With The Dual Brake Lever And It Has Come In Very Handy A Couple Of Times When Motorists Pulled Out Rite In Front Of Me. It Gives You Little Time To Think. I Guess They Are Not Expecting A Bicycle To Approch With Our Speed. The Thumb Throttle Is So Smooth With The Twist Shifter On The Left And Effortless. Am In The Process Of Installing One On My Titan Cvt Build. The Cheap Finger Throttle Has Ruined A Cable Already. Ron
Is you centrifugal clutch on one of the China girls?