Rear Suspension Alternative

GoldenMotor.com

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I recently invested in a "Thud Buster" suspension seat post.
After riding it for over 60 miles on the same bumpy roads that I've
rode a hundred times, I'm quite impressed. It really does work much
better than the spring loaded seat post that I had on my bike. It isn't
cheap by any means, but so are trips to the doctor for back pain after extended
rides! They make two versions, a short travel and a long travel post. I first
mounted the LT model, but it was too tall, then I swapped it out for the ST
version and it works extremely well. At about $125.00 It HAD to soften the
ride or I would have promptly returned it. It is a GREAT alternative for a rear
suspension bike. Their web site is .rd. Cane Creek*Thudbuster LT Long Travel at Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Shop

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
I recently invested in a "Thud Buster" suspension seat post.
After riding it for over 60 miles on the same bumpy roads that I've
rode a hundred times, I'm quite impressed. It really does work much
better than the spring loaded seat post that I had on my bike. It isn't
cheap by any means, but so are trips to the doctor for back pain after extended
rides! They make two versions, a short travel and a long travel post. I first
mounted the LT model, but it was too tall, then I swapped it out for the ST
version and it works extremely well. At about $125.00 It HAD to soften the
ride or I would have promptly returned it. It is a GREAT alternative for a rear
suspension bike. Their web site is .rd. Cane Creek*Thudbuster LT Long Travel at Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Shop
wow.....that's good to know. I was impressed just by the seatpost suspension. Has to be more durable than a swing arm too.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... not to jack this thread - but there was another product offered as an aftermarket suspension other than the seatpost and when I saw the title here I really hoped it was this...

I was at a bikeshop a few years ago and I say a bolt-on attachment that went under the chainstay, from the bottom bracket to the dropouts - mounting your wheel to it, it offered some suspension action by transferring the vertical movement to a horizontal one. I'll bdanged if I can remember what it was called, I don't know how effective it was (beyond the bike tech "liking" it), or even how expensive it was.

Any info on what this product might be or feedback on it's quality would be greatly appreciated - heck, for all I know it mighta been discontinued... I've never seen it since or been able to find it anywhere *shrug*

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Good idea. Our roads are not smooth, and they are roughest near the edge of pavement, where we ride.
BarelyAWake - I think you may me talking about the "Shock Buddy". You can occasionally find them on EBay and craigslist.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hmm... not to jack this thread - but there was another product offered as an aftermarket suspension other than the seatpost and when I saw the title here I really hoped it was this...

I was at a bikeshop a few years ago and I say a bolt-on attachment that went under the chainstay, from the bottom bracket to the dropouts - mounting your wheel to it, it offered some suspension action by transferring the vertical movement to a horizontal one. I'll bdanged if I can remember what it was called, I don't know how effective it was (beyond the bike tech "liking" it), or even how expensive it was.

Any info on what this product might be or feedback on it's quality would be greatly appreciated - heck, for all I know it mighta been discontinued... I've never seen it since or been able to find it anywhere *shrug*
Was it something like this?

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/suspensions-all-2733.html

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nope - that's neat as heck, but still not it. The add-on I saw was a whole 'nother setup bolted under the chainstay *shrug*

It's cool, it prolly vanished 'cause it turned out to not be any good or somethin lol

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I have one of those Thudbuster, the LT version. You have to get a right combination of rubber inserts to get the correct dampening suspension. It's better than no suspension at all. :D