Steel Throttle and kill anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Gee, my twist grip outer assembly has cracked. How'd I know THAT would happen?

But stupid ol me spent the last couple of months seeing a steel Kill switch throttle assembly on some site here- but that's now apparently sold out.

Spooky has an "old style" but doesn't say if it's got a kill switch, and has anyone noticed their pictures NEVER really enlarge? The old style cable is $10 more.

I can tell by the ads that these things are going belly up- suddenly they're selling the grips alone, and boygofast has 10 cables listed together now. He had cheap plastic replacements listed separately forever, and NOW THEY'RE GONE!!!!

I see what's happening- It's winter now, and the stupid cheap plastic things are all breaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got an extra from the build I'm just now ready to assemble, so what do I do? Break another cheap plastic thing and/or order another cheap plastic thing, with the grips? I JUST ORDERED the grips separately a few weeks ago!!!!!! Another stupid move!!!!!!!

I even searched ebay for motorcycle twist grip, and see nothing but plastic and 1 inch-

anybody got a steel throttle and kill for sale?
:-||

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you look at the bay for throttle tubes, a bunch of billet aluminum throttles for dirt bikes will show up. i have a "sik50's" aluminum one that works awesome, but doesn't have a kill switch, so i had to mount one somewhere else (under my seat.) any button will work, you just need to find a place for it.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Overstock Distributing out of Canada has a really nice Gold or Red anodized Aluminum throttle, but it does not have a kill button. Like bairdco says you can mount the kill button anywhere.

John

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I concur i use 1/4 turn magura throttle assys. and you could order a kill switch for a honda cr 80 thru 500 kill switch i say honda cause ima honda man lol

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I ended up ordering another stock plastic one, before the posts about the alloy twists (minus kill button) which I might've gotten if not spending too much otherwise.

I realized, I could still even use the old assembly just for the kill switch. It was cracked and too loose for the throttle, but the kill would be sufficiently mounted just by gluing the piece and lightly tightening.

In fact, I've since super glued the crack in the old one, and painted it (for whatever strength that my provide) and guess what?

A radiator hose WORM CLAMP fits arount the assembly, so if I want to use it again, it is actually even more sturdy than new, because of the steel clamp.

I wish the steel assembly would come back- I think it was at DAX, and I think it was $8.50.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no. it says they're for 1" handlebars. the throttle i listed fits 7/8" bars, so you need grips for 7/8".

the throttle grip is bigger, probably is 1", but the otherside will slip. when you buy throttle grips, even though the throttle is bigger, they'll come listed as the handlebar size.

confused yet?

you can also squeeze a 7/8" regular grip over a throttle tube sometimes, but i don't like to, because then one of my grips is fatter. real throttle grips outside diameter isn't any bigger, it's just got a bigger hole inside.

or something....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Jeez, wouldn't you know it?

I just took delivery on the new NTS speed carb for the 66 motor- from Pirate cycles.

What they failed to mention was that it was shipped WITH new grips and throttle assembly, and the whole cable ALREADY ATTACHED!!!!

So now I have yet another whole stock throttle assembly! If I had known this, I would have just ordered the speed carb a couple three weeks ago,

At just $25 shipped, Pirate has the best price on the carb, and half of the cost would have been saved by not then having to order the other plastic twist grip assembly separately then. Oh well. i'm surprised they don't advertise it that way.

Also just tried the new billet intake today- before installing the NTS carb, to test each variable independently- DEFINITELY a performance improvement there- although I reamed the billet even further, and had to install it on the old male studs instead of using recessed allen bolts supplied- those old studs have got a firm setting to them now, and several lock washers are then needed to fill the recesses in the billet. And the cluth cable stop definitely needs to have the 1/4" cut off to lower it and clear the lowered carb. Not an easy task in an apartment with no vice to hold it.

I've decided that I probably won't even actually be opening the throttle up to 2 cycle level much- it's considerably louder whine for very little speed. So while I still will install the new carb, I'm wondering if it will do much more.

Last edited:

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Jeez, wouldn't you know it?

I just took delivery on the new NTS speed carb for the 66 motor- from Pirate cycles.

What they failed to mention was that it was shipped WITH new grips and throttle assembly, and the whole cable ALREADY ATTACHED!!!!

So now I have yet another whole stock throttle assembly! If I had known this, I would have just ordered the speed carb a couple three weeks ago,

At just $25 shipped, Pirate has the best price on the carb, and half of the cost would have been saved by not then having to order the other plastic twist grip assembly separately then. Oh well. i'm surprised they don't advertise it that way.

Also just tried the new billet intake today- before installing the NTS carb, to test each variable independently- DEFINITELY a performance improvement there- although I reamed the billet even further, and had to install it on the old male studs instead of using recessed allen bolts supplied- those old studs have got a firm setting to them now, and several lock washers are then needed to fill the recesses in the billet. And the cluth cable stop definitely needs to have the 1/4" cut off to lower it and clear the lowered carb. Not an easy task in an apartment with no vice to hold it.

I've decided that I probably won't even actually be opening the throttle up to 2 cycle level much- it's considerably louder whine for very little speed. So while I still will install the new carb, I'm wondering if it will do much more.
Kat,
We don't usually send the whole assembly like that with the carbs.. For you, I threw it in as a little Merry Christmas bonus. I didn't feel like taking it all apart and/or just sending you the carb with one odd grip.. Thats how we roll here man!!

Also, If you need shorter allens I think we have some for the intake. Were the ones I sent you a little under 3/4", the m12's. Or were they 3/4" the m14's.
If theres anything else we can do, let us know.
Justin

Last edited:

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Yeah- thanks then, troyboy! No there's no problem with the allen screws- I just can't get the old studs off the motor- at least I haven't put much effort in yet.

Cool Kat,
For the studs; Put two nuts on the stud. Then back the inner nut off jamming it against the outer nut.

(Jam Nutting)

Justin

Last edited: