Bike won't stay on when full stop made

GoldenMotor.com

marianocopello

Dec 31, 2012
Miami, FL
Hi guys, Hopefully this will be an easy one. Got my motorized bike. Bought the two stroke motor kit from bikemopedkit.com SD Stinger is the sticker that has on.

I got my bike up and running. It doesn't seem to be really good tuned but it's running. So here's is where my problem is.

I start my bike, it rides smooth and all but when I make a full stop the bike won't stay on unless I turn the throttle. If I don't, it chokes and it stops the engine.

I tried tuning it adjusting the idle clock wise and counter clock wise, also with the choker fully closed and fully opened.

Is there something that I'm missing. Please help! THANKS
dance1 :-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like your clutch is dragging - lots of info here about how to adjust it

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
when the clutch is dragging, the engine is still trying to pull the bike a little bit when you're stopped - adjusting it will let the engine run free when you pull the clutch

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Try adjusting the clutch cable to be a little bit tighter. There is a sweet spot for them. Too loose and the clutch can drag when you are stopped. Too tight and the clutch can slip when you are accelerating quickly or climbing a hill.
If adjusting the cable does not help then we can get into adjusting the clutch at the clutch's pressure plate. Let's just start with the easy things first.

marianocopello

Dec 31, 2012
Miami, FL
If anybody lives in the North Miami area, I would love to pay somebody to get this right! I don't want to keep riding the way is not supposed to. But I won't throw the towel on it dough. :-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unfortunately no luck for me. Tight up the clutch cable but there wasn't any changes. Any other suggestion?
Where and how are you trying to adjust the clutch cable?

Here's a good way: On your handlebar lever run the adjuster all the way in (toward the handle) Then go to the cable where it attaches to the engine (clutch actuator arm)
Here's where you want little to no slack. Loosen the cable stop (brass collar) and pull the cable snug before tightening it again. You don't want the cable to be as tight as a bow string but just tight enough that there is no slack.

Clutch cable adjustments are very small. 1/8" too loose and you can have the problem you're describing. If you take the slack out of the cable then squeeze the handlebar lever you'll want 3/4 to 1" of movement of the clutch actuator arm at the engine.

Hope this helps and let us know. Oh, and the last time I was there, there was nobody in North Miami. In fact, it was closed :)

Tom

marianocopello

Dec 31, 2012
Miami, FL
Tom should I do this with the clutch engaged or disengaged.? Sorry I got so many problems, that not only my short knowledge in general engine terms that English is not my first language. So bare with me and I will get this fix.

I was only adjusting the cable in the clutch arm, next to the the chain.

Thanks for the advice and patience.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom should I do this with the clutch engaged or disengaged.? Sorry I got so many problems, that not only my short knowledge in general engine terms that English is not my first language. So bare with me and I will get this fix.

I was only adjusting the cable in the clutch arm, next to the the chain.

Thanks for the advice and patience.
Adjust your cable tension with the clutch engaged. That means no pressure on the arm the cable attaches to. Disengaged is when the cable is adjusted correctly and the rear wheel will spin freely without turning the engine's crankshaft when you squeeze the handlebar lever. Or when you manually push inward on the arm.

That's another test you can do. Raise the rear wheel and push in on the clutch actuator arm with your hand. You'll need to wrap it with a rag because you're pushing against a very strong spring. Push in as far as you can until the arm stops then try to rotate your rear wheel. It should spin free moving the chain but not the crankshaft. The drive sprocket will rotate but not the engine. This might take two people unless you have a way to suspend the rear wheel off the floor.

Tom

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a crazy question... Are you pulling the clutch hand lever 'in' before you come to a complete stop?? (This is assuming that you have a 2-stroke engine).