Another Chopper Build

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A sad bump to an old thread.

The lady shown in the photo in post #175 was put to rest today after a year long battle with cancer. My mother-in-law was buried today at Ft. Logan National Cemetary here in Denver where she joined her husband of 65 years. He was a Korean War and WWII vet.
My wife, her family and I will miss this good woman. She was an angel.

RIP, Esther.

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tom, Sorry for your loss, but having the chance to spend so many years with these folks is a gift in my book. Just buried my neighbor yesterday, a Korean war vet. Quite a storyteller he was, and I'll always remember sitting on Richard "Shotgun" Smith's front porch after work while he told of growing up on the farm in the 30's and 40's and his times in the Army. This fella wasn't and angel by any means, but a dear friend and good guy.

Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Dan. Esther and I had a bond that she couldn't share with her kids, all of them younger than me, my wife included There were things we could talk about that her children were too young to remember. Old radio shows and early television, music, movies and current events of the 50s. I was a youngster and she was just in her late teens and early 20s, but we both remembered those things that were significant to us from those years.

Those old folks, (ha ha, like I'm not one of them), have some great history to share if we only take the time to listen.

Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Tom,
It isn't easy saying goodbye to an old friend, even when we know it is coming and has to be. Still is hard to do. Esther sounds like a good one. Our dominate culture doesn't much revere elders as evidenced by our portrayal of old people in movies & t.v. More is our loss for that. More traditional cultures understand that elders are our window into the past which is how we understand where we are in the present and perhaps have insight into where we're heading in the future. Not all old people are wise, but chances are they may know some things worth hearing. Good for you that you listened to Esther when you could. Now it is your turn as the wise elder.
SB

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Real sorry for your family's loss Tom. I too had a great mother-n-law that was lost to cancer. Unfortunately it seems that cancer always has a way of finding some of the greatest and most wonderful folks among us. I am certain you guys will miss her greatly and you have my deepest sympathy.