in desperate need of mechanic-denver area

GoldenMotor.com

mandomadness

Jul 12, 2012
denver, co
my chain snapped off a link and i don't have tools to fix it. i really want to get back on the road. i'm in the denver area and em in desperate need of a mechanic or anyone who knows how and has tools to fix it for me. i'll pay$. pleas help, i want to ride again.
pm me for my info,
mando:-||
pleas help

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
this is just some friendly advice, so please dont get mad at me. the more stuff you learn how to do for yourself, the better off you will be. these bikes are really hands on when it comes to working on them and maintaining them and keeping them on the road. if you wait till someone can come to you every time something goes wrong, then you wont be on the road very much at all. I strongly suggest you go to walmart and get a $5 chain tool and fix it yourself. I had no mechanical knowledge when I built my first bike. im on my second bike now because a friend cracked the frame on my first bike. but there isnt a single thing on my bike i dont know how to fix or maintain myself, and i learned it all on my own.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i bought the tool to take the chain apart,it was 12.00
the repair link to replace broken one is 2.00 or less.
a new chain is 10-15.00 depending where you buy it.
you should learn to do it yourself,as it will most likely
happen again.
any farm supply carries #41 chain,it should work and they will break it to length and charge you by the inch.well,they used to when i was in that business.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Is this the bike pedal chain, or the motor chain? I picked up the $5 Walmart chain tool for my pedal chain (which worked fine, BTW), but it did not fit my drive chain.

If you want to do it the easy way, you can either buy a chain breaker that will work on most drive chains from a farm supply or hardware store, or check your local bike shop. My LBS had a heavy duty Park Tools chain breaker that fit my kit supplied drive chain just fine and they let me use it for free.

Or if you want to do it at home like I did last weekend, I just watched some Youtube videos on how to remove a link without a chain breaker and did it that way. I started by putting the rivet I wanted to remove over a washer, and used a hammer and punch to get the rivet started. Once it was out far enough that the washer did not give enough space, put a larger nut under the rivet and continued pushing the rivet out with the punch.

About 1/3 of the way through, the taper in the punch was too wide to continue, so I took a nail with a wide head and clipped off the sharp end, then used that to hammer the rivet the rest of the way out. Then putting on the master link is easy peasy, you may need a pair of needle nosed pliers, but those are good to have anyway.

Using the hammer method took me about 10 minutes and a lot of sweat, it was not as easy going as the videos made it look, but still worked fine. Borrowing a chain breaker that is the right size is much easier and less prone to error.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
If you can drive downt to Northern Colorado Springs this Thursday, I'll fix it at no cost to you. It is my only day off this week.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I"ll take a look at it and can fix it for you, but like a friend of mine says "I don't make house calls". If you can get the bike to me I'll fix it for you and give you some basic guidelines. Either way welcome to the Denver scene, and best of luck with your bike :).

mandomadness

Jul 12, 2012
denver, co
thanks for the posts everyone. yeah looks like im ganna need to do this one on my own. i ordered a heavy duty chain breaker and chain extensions. i'll post a pic once i finish this weekend.