Schwinn xl chopper with a morini build

GoldenMotor.com

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
After building the regular OCC stingray I found out that Schwinn built two bigger choppers, the Spoiler and the XL. Doing some research I realized the Spoiler was quite pricey, the XL not so.

The search was on!!! I left my name and number at pawn shops that had bikes for sale. I kept a close eye on Craig's list and the locally ads. A couple of months went by and I got a call from one of the pawn shops. Paid 100.00 which I thought was kinda high. I realized when am I going to come across another one, so I bought it.

Then I set out to find an engine. A couple of months went by and I found this KTM 50 on Craig's list for 50.00. Now thats a good deal!!! The bike was a piece but the engine started right up and ran smooth.(It did have the air box hooked up when I got it)

Attachments

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
On with the show:) The next part was from a post by DaveC about Bargain Basement Bicycle Parts. Thats where I found the Spoiler rims. Off to the shop to figure out how to get the front wheel mounted because the forks are narrower than the dual disc set-up.

I ended up notching the inside of the forks and welding in a plate to the inside. Making brake caliper brackets to be welded to the forks took sometime to fab up. I chose to go with a left and right brake caliper for the looks otherwise one would be behind the fork tube and the other in front.

Attachments

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Got back to the shop today and started welding up the brackets for the engine. Not that bad compared to the work need on the forks. The list is still long for the build. Need to make a bracket for the rear caliper. Also the chain guide/tensioner needs to be made and welded up and a couple of other things. I am still deciding on what to do or make for a fuel tank.

Attachments

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Here is the frame with the engine installed. Starting to come together after almost a year of searching. Now for a name. I was thinking maybe of War Horse or something along those lines :)

George
.shft.

Attachments

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Looking very nice my friend. I can't wait to see this thing live and in action. I remember when I sat on it with no motor, now look at it. :) keep the pictures coming

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Its been a while since this build started, I was planing on finishing before spring got here. As you know things happen when you don't expect them to. It started right before x-mas with the wife getting hurt, having surgery and being out of work put a damper on things. A couple of days later I get a call at work, she said that our boy dash was not walking right. By the time I got home he could not stand up on his own. I took him to his vet, yep more bad news he was paralyzed. Faced with the cost of the surgery and the wife being out of work and still is. I had to make the sacrifice. Since he just turned 4 he has allot of years left in him. He is the happiest dog I have ever known.

Between work, taking care of the house, wife, and Chevy (the pup) and his sis leaves no time or money for much of anything. The wife is getting better and the pup is walking. All is good!!!! The bike is on hold until things get back to semi normal. Here is some pics of Chevy and Cheri. She really loves her brother.

George

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
George,
Please let me know if I can help. I can't do much medically, I'm no doc but you've seen my garage and tools. Maybe I can at least help get the chopper on the road.
Give me a call if I can do anything. The shop is a mess right now but I could make room for us to work.
Tom