Tools to have with you.

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I was wondering what tools members carry? I carry a small fishing pouch with six zippered pockets, I carry enough tools to take off both wheels, a spare clutch cable. spare spark plug and socket, enough chain and master links for a repair.Nuts and bolts, a air pump and glueless patches. In the front bag i have cable ties and oil for a gal. of gas, and a bottle of water for me.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
In addition to above, I also carry a couple spare bulbs and batteries, spring clip test leads, and small battery tester, so I can fix my lights and wiring on the road if I have to.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you noticed in the picture I have two headlights, I know what you mean about lights. Lights are like air, not a big deal till you have to do without.

The Berry

Jul 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Greg58 -

Awesome kit. Looks like you're ready for anything that comes your way. I try to take the same approach.

My main issue is carrying too much stuff, because the more I have, the more I have to look after, amounting to me losing stuff. Additionally, I worry about people stealing stuff, so I figured it would be best to carry small, multipurpose tools, and as few thing possible that nobody will likely want.

I have two bike bags, one under my banana seat, and another in front of it behind the fuel tank. One carries a pair of pliers, which I can use to tighten or take off any size nut on my bike. It also carries the keys for my 2 bike U-Locks, and I use it to hold my small pocketed items - cell phone, eyeglasses case, wallet, and my student ID card. My second bike bag holds a multi-tool set, (looks like an army pocket knife), that holds a set of hex wrenches, a flat head and phillips head screwdriver all in one. For oil, I use a small, 3 oz bottle that use to hold Johnson's Baby Oil for holding my supply of Opti-2 oil, (lasts me for 4 tank refills for a half gallon tank.) It also holds a bag I use to cover my air-filter in case it rains when I lock the bike up. Lastly I have a small metal spoon I use to mix my oil and gas when I'm out refilling it.

Since I always carry a small backpack when I ride out, I just use that to carry my air pump and bungee-net. I'll also use it to carry a supply of Slime in case I catch a flat when I buy it. If I ever bring my chain,(locks with a small U-lock) with me, I carry it in my backpack. My big U-Lock I just lock to my one of my backpack straps.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I carry a bit less. I take small screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, pliers and knife. I also carry wire and zip ties. Fits nicely into a typical under seat pouch, which is mounted under my fuel tank.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dave I know there have been a lot of threads on this but sometimes we get new ideas from newer members, sunday I had to put my kit to use had a flat front tire. Ten minutes later I was back on the road.

Sambino

May 12, 2011
Washington (USA)
I carry two adjustable wrenches, two hex key sets (one also has a flathead and philips), extra batteries, zip ties, and a metal water bottle with about 16 oz of gas.

I only ride around town though, If I was going to go on a longer trip, I'd also bring along some chain, a chain tool, a pump and inner tube.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey Ron what I meant was out of the guys I ride with one of us will have a phone with us. If its a long ride we give our wives some general areas we will ride in case help is needed, and I leave the keys to my truck.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hmmm...Sambino, those are some good ideas. I have a pretty extensive tool box now, but I saw some stuff I could add if I have to really travel. Thanks.

And I agree with Greg too. A cell phone is a handy thing to have sometimes.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I always have a leatherman with me. Can not need it for 6 weeks but when ya do need a screw driver, needle nose pliers, I am just glad I have it in the back pocket.

This dumb cheap thing has got me home safely more times then I can count. Walmart.com: Ultra Bike Tool: Bikes & Riding Toys

On 2 smokes, I carry every tool needed to build one. Really has served me well. Aside from the pull starts on Chinese 4 smokes, the bicycle it self is normally the difficulty at hand.

Cell phones are great! Bailed me out a bunch. Lets you take pics of the great stuff slow ridding can show ya and I use it to connect to the interweb on a mini-laptop

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I find gerber the superior multi tool and am never without mine ( exc. Court and in the shower) . I have used it on every major component of bike more then once. The same tool itself has saved the day at more then one rally roadside breakdown :) to bad all the patents for that type of tool are taken an MB version would be great!

The other day I had stoped to grab a beer and had to dig thru the tools in my jacket to get to my wallett the bartender mubled "so thats wat it takes to ride on of those bikes"

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Dawgs. If ya reach for your wallet and come out with a socket, ya might be a MBer.

That is a really great thought, a MB specific pocket sized multi tool! Well would need to much to be pocket sized but could be really cool.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Does anyone carry an air pump?- I see lots of pumps everywhere. I see lots of pumps at the store, but they seem to attach to a bracket that fits in brazed on water bottle fittings-

Has anyone found a good way to carry a pump? flats are probably the most common repair on the road.