Suggestions extra gas on long trips

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I am needing some ideas for long trip rides,me and a buddy of mine ride 250+ miles on the weekends around town here,it gets quite boring staying in the same areas and would like to travel farther without riding back home 2-3 times a day for more fuel.I have a rear rack an one extra 2L tank but that wouldn't help out to much for both MB's. I appreciate it,Thanks!

upsrogue

Jul 14, 2009
Arizona
How about the bike water bottles, there is all kinds of ways to attach them to the bike, and of course the plastic bottles won't work but you can buy aluminum bottles they are'nt too pricey. You could put 2 or more on the bike if you buy the clamp on type rack and also distribute the weight around.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
You could also bring along a little botle of oil, as there are gas stations everywhere to fill up. That would be the easiest thing to do light and then you are not messing with the look of your bike.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I sometimes use old quarts of oil bottles to carry a little extra fuel and stick them in my backpack. It's hard to find a bottle that does not leak and usually you can only use them only once.

But I do have two motorcycle tanks that I will swap out with the small tank when I know I am really going a long ride. One is a gallon and a half and the other is two gallons, I prefer the 1 1/2 gallon cause it's easier to pedal. The 2 gallon is a little wide and my knees hits it once in a while.

I have also seen many that will carry an extra gallon or two of fuel in a gas can and they will use a rack, or front basket or something to carry the fuel cans.

http://motorbicycling.com/f11/where-do-you-carry-your-spare-1199.html

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
At an average of 10 mph (real time, which includes stops and slowdowns) you aren't going to get much further than 50 miles away from home unless you just get on the bikes and run them hard for a whole tank.

You have about 50-100 miles of range. More if you coast when you can and run the bike easy.

So, you only need to carry a gallon between you both, should be easy for each of you to carry a half gallon of liquid.

Test plastic first by leaving the container filled overnight, and watch static with plastic containers too.

If you are just going "out" you'd be surprised at how far you can get (and back) on the stock tank.

You can also replace said tank with the larger available options.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for all the great ideas! I have considered getting a one gallon tank but I figured with the price for one,something else could be done cheap and safely.

Fair:Great ideas with the tanks.Would you happen to know of any close fitted motorcycle tanks without much modification to be done?

Bikeguy Joe:I to agree,just the other day I was bout 10 miles from home with an empty tank,Man I tell ya I throttled this thing hard to get back home and actually made it! I ride hard on the roads around here jamming off to my MP3 but I also know what I'm doing.Splitting a gallon of mixture between the two of us sounds like a plan,would you say carrying extra gas in a backpack be a bad idea due to possible static,ventilation? Thanks a bunch guys.

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
as most people stated...use the water bottle rack and fill an oh say 16 ounce bottle with oil...thats enough for quite a few tanks and then just hit up gas stations,or fill a jug of premixed gas and put it in your backpack,or strap a milk jug to the back rack,or just pedal...a lot lol.bf.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
I have a one-gallon regular red rectanglular plastic gas can with a spout. They are cheap and as safe as you can get. A couple bungee cords to hold it on the rack when I venture out in the desert for a long ride (along with a gallon jug of water). With a gallon can full of mix and a small plastic bottle with enough oil for another gallon fill-up at the gas station...if you can ride more than that in a day you are an animal!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I have a one-gallon regular red rectanglular plastic gas can with a spout. They are cheap and as safe as you can get. A couple bungee cords to hold it on the rack when I venture out in the desert for a long ride (along with a gallon jug of water). With a gallon can full of mix and a small plastic bottle with enough oil for another gallon fill-up at the gas station...if you can ride more than that in a day you are an animal!
I am a beast I'd say,even before being motorized I would ride days and nights straight on my Giant MTB daily.I love the nature and the adventure although I've never been out of the state.That really sounds like a good route to go for now I appreciate it man! Thank you usflg

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would opt for a real-live gas can on a rear rack. They have ample room for expansion and are made of the right plastic.
Putting a half gallon of tightly sealed fuel in a plastic bottle, and in your back pack is not suggested.

Just be careful what ever you decide.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I put a rear rack on my bike to carry extra fuel etc. Last weekend me and a friend attempted to ride a 80 mile round trip on the country roads,got about 20 miles out there on the back roads just cruising along the very side of the road.Well what do you know,A SUV full of hoodlums came flying by at the least going 120MPH My buddy kinda went into shock mode and couldn't stop the bike so he swung his leg under the rear wheel trying to stop (I have no clue why LOL),I jammed my brakes and pulled next to him going a little over 30 and helped keep his balance from crashing.The bad part about it was,I had every other tool but no I didn't bring a spoke wrench or cell phone! So were going this coming weekend on the same route longer trip to camp out an fish a bit.Please take my advice,If your riding country roads be aware of your surroundings and be careful out there!