Weather changes

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The weather has changed, it is no longer summer. Mornings, some, are cool and crisp. Another way I can tell, I have a huge walnut tree in my back yard. When I say huge, I mean it is the biggest walnut tree I've seen. Every year, at this time, I am scared to be in the back yard. The walnuts falling make being in the back yard a risky endeavor at best.

Close to 20 years ago my friend and co-worker Bobby Chism took me to his good friends house. Evelyn was a very nice lady and we all 3 had a good time that evening watching a movie, drinking and smoking, just had a fun time. When Bobby and I were leaving Evelyns' house we had to walk through her yard to get to the driveway. It was fall and kind of cool out, the winds were blowing and we had heard walnuts falling all evening. (I bet you can almost tell what happened.) A walnut fell and hit poor ole Bobby right in the top of his head. He stopped right where it happened and his hand went to that very spot the walnut had hit. Me, being right behind him, saw the walnut had bounced straight up. Yeah, it came right back down and hit poor ole Bobby on his hand. And that walnut was one of the big, green kind. You know, that stuff on the outside of the walnut shell, that makes it bigger and heavier and bounce more.

Many times walnuts will hit one of the metal awnings in the yard and sound like a gunshot. A few years ago I was raking the leaves in the yard and had taken a break to light a smoke. As I was standing the a walnut hit the ground about 4 inches from my foot. It left and indentation in the ground. In hard packed dirt, that walnut left a dent in the ground ~ 1/4 inch deep.

Sure, you say, I get all the walnuts I want for the picking up off the ground. I am terrified of going into my own yard for fear of being struck down by a rouge walnut. That is the price I pay for free walnuts.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That reminds me of my childhood, growing up in Miami Florida, and a scene in the Tom Hanks movie, 'Cast Away' when the coconuts are falling. A Walnut would hurt but a coconut will leave a dent. Never walk or stand under a coconut palm tree. Don't park your car under one either. :)

Tom

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
We did a job down in the heart of Baltimore city this week and I couldn't believe I had gotten such a good parking spot right in front of the building I was working in.
This is an upscale residential neighborhood with cars literally parked bumper to bumper for as far as the eye can see.

I had to come back out to the work van to get some more tools etc. only to find my truck covered with dozens of greenish pink balls of goo about the size of ping-pong balls. Soft and gooey that crush like a grape and emit the foulest stench you've ever smelled. Something like a cross between puke and freshly stepped in dog plop.

Later I caught my "buddies" laughing their a$$es off out there taking turns kicking the tree as hard as they could so they could get as many of these stench balls to cover the entire roof of my truck and also all around the thing so you could not avoid stepping on them. Some nice co-workers I've got.

Anyway stay the heII away from female Ginko trees or you'll be sorry too.
You'll know what I'm talking about if you ever smell one.

TiM