Motorcycle Helmet

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Not to sound disagreeable but find bicycle helmets don't suggest your on more then a bicycle and going 25-35 MPH instead of 10. So cars pull out thinking they have more time.

I have seen some cool looking full MX looking bike helmets that are pretty cheap and look like MC but are the weight and vented like a bicycle helmet.

There are a ton but ones like this; NEW Bell BMX Full Face Youth HELMET ATV BIKE | eBay

I think that is almost as big a safety consideration (warning cars your on a MB and not just a bicycle) as is what it is designed for, protecting yer noggen.
I agree 100%.
Drivers see the helmet. Then they see the fast-moving bicycle(20mph+). They realize that the bicycle rider wears a motorcycle helmet for a good reason.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I agree as well. I've been cut off cuz people think its a bicycle and they pull out and i have to jam on the brakes. Very few people have done a double take when they saw me coming and noticed i was going 10-15mph faster than a bicycle and let me pass before going on their way.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Nice bike wm.

I always wear a full face, in my opinion it doesn't matter what your head looks like before the fall, if it looks great after. In the hot weather I wear an MX full face, cold is a street style.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
This is what i ride with. getting into an accident at 30-40mph, screw the bike- its my face i want to save. And most bike accidents its up over the handlebars and a nasty face plant..

Scorpion EXO 400 Tribal

dnutdnut

These animations need helmets. LOL

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I use a MX helmet. I am always being asked why wear such a helmet for only a 20mph speed limit. It's not the speed why I wear a helmet its the 3,000lbs of steel that I have to share the road with why I wear one.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Well said Dave.
Also, not like 20MPH is not enough speed to do real, permanent or final damage to one's noggen either.

I wear a helmet for the same reason I wear seat belts in a car, Carol needs the money I make, lol.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
What I have looked at is real WW1 Pickle Spike with leather suspension and a metal bucket. I see it as between a bicycle helmut and a motorcycle one. I ride at between 20 and 25 MPH the vast majority of the time. Too fast for a bike helmut and not fast enough for a more confining motorcycle helmut. They're not cheap so it's not for saving money. Probably be a reproduction though. A good real helmut is about $150 up and a good repro about $80 or so. The motorcycle version just looks terrible to me, too cheap for words :p

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I use a MX helmet. I am always being asked why wear such a helmet for only a 20mph speed limit. It's not the speed why I wear a helmet its the 3,000lbs of steel that I have to share the road with why I wear one.
Same point I've made a few times too. Doesn't matter that you're only going around 20 mph. What matters is the guy coming toward you at 35 mph AND you going his way at an additional 20 mph. Take it from a guy who knows: a Ford F-150 can ruin your day, but with a helmet you can live to see the settlement. I honestly can't tell you how things would have ended without the helmet. But I haven't really wanted to speculate.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Somwhere in this vast repository of knowledge; there is a post on interesting lightweight openface helmets that I THINK were hydrodipped; or painted to look like: Watermelons, skulls and my favorite, various woodgrains. Anybody remember this?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Somwhere in this vast repository of knowledge; there is a post on interesting lightweight openface helmets that I THINK were hydrodipped; or painted to look like: Watermelons, skulls and my favorite, various woodgrains. Anybody remember this?
Check the link in my post above. I saw some pretty strange helmets there.

Tom

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Yes, I hydrodip daily. Works very well. I have found that shampoo as well as a bar of soap come in very handy when hydrodipping. *hint-- it works best if you use a towel AFTER the process. Works like a charm, and my girlfriend also likes it