I have a 2 stroke already mounted, but need electric to be legal on the bike lane...

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
If i get a front electric hub kit, i was wondering, could i charge the battery with the white wire off the 2 stroke 66cc slant head while the two stroke is on. Cuz i'll only be using the electric on the main roadways, and then i'll start my gas engine and get it running and turn the electric motor off. Would the white wire help to charge a 36v battery decently?

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Re: I have a 2 stroke already mounted, but need electric to be legal on the bike lane

Just a thought here James. Use a LED for a headlight etc. and get a small motorcycle type 12v battery to run them. The battery will last a very long time before needing charged.

Terry

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Re: I have a 2 stroke already mounted, but need electric to be legal on the bike lane

But, im talkin' about getting a electric front drive hub kit. I already have head/taillights. When im using the gas motor, if i hooked up the white wire to the battery that is for the electric motor, would it help charge it? or would it be too little voltage to help charge the battery?

Last edited:

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan

the white wire will not provide the voltage or current required to charge or even maintain a charge of a battery suitable for powering a hub motor..
Sorry.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Yes, output of the white wire could be directed to a battery with some fancy circuitry.
"Decently" ? Probably not.
Good luck
rc

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

I didn't thnk it would but couldn't help but ask.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

James, your gas powered bike is illegal in Florida dude.
(I guess you know that).
You're not going to be able to charge with the 6v white wire.

Just sell the gas bike and buy an electric kit (~$275) and a 36v 20ah Lifepo4 batt (~$400) and you'll have a completely legal Ebike.
20mph top end and a 40mile range.

Give up on gas in Florida.. They will eventually pull you over and give you a bunch of tickets.

I'm guessing you don't have a license.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

...seems to me you are doing what you do because you need to...
for whatever reason.

<< I >> would mount one of those little clamp on generators to the front fork or seat stay, use it to run lights and send some juice towards a small battery and call the entire bike a generator.
I'd sit on it to make sure things were charging properly while I went somewhere.

Probably wouldn't be long before I got to tell the silly story to a magistrate.

There's probably a vacation with a couple lousy meals a day in my future.

:)
rc

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

That's kinda what im thinkin. A friend of mine thought up the same thing. Hope I can get it all ready for my court date. :)

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Im thinking of getting a small electric motor and running a belt from the alternator to the electric motor, and run the alternator to the front wheel where it generates energy.
I'm thinking about getting a friction drive and taking the end piece opposite the motor off and running a belt from it to a alternator, and then from the alternator to a small electric motor and then i could ride on the bike lane legally. The law doesn't say it has to be completely powered by electric, it says "electric helper motor".hehe

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

If you have a gas motor RUNNING while your bike is in motion, you will get into trouble.
Another member tried to get away with it this way...
He has a gas generator supplying power to a battery which in turn powered the motor....
The gas engine wasn't providing the motion, only recharging the battery that ran the electric motor..
He still got tickets for unregistered moped and DWLS.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

is it possible to make an electric friction drive motor, using a roller system like in a gas friction drive, Would that take less energy that a electric hub kit?

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

is it possible to make an electric friction drive motor, using a roller system like in a gas friction drive, Would that take less energy that a electric hub kit?

Nope.... Much less efficient then an electric hub.. Plus much more wear and tear on tire. And in light rain.. Horrible traction.

Electric hub kits are around the $300 mark and the batteries are in around the $250-$450 mark.
My setup gets me 20mph for 40 miles and cost me $725.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Where did u buy your kit and batteries from?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Online..
The kit I got from my distributor and the battery from eBay.
The kit is a 36v 350w motor and the battery is a 36v 20ah battery.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Im sticking with gas. Court date is on the 19th. As long as i get a motor 50cc's or less ill be legal. The police aint gonna stop stopping us though. But i'll have a suprise for them called a dmv document that is stamped by a state notary, a tax collector and its dated and titled "DMV Procedures".