Bike Bug/Suburban rehabilitation (Schwinng!)

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a very special project I would like to share.

Mrs Joe and I are doing a rehab/restoration of a mid 70's Schwinn Suburban, and a Bike Bug Auto- I think it's an auto, it has some kind of free wheel set up my other one did not have.

Why Mrs. Joe? No, it's not going to be for her. She suggested and insisted on being in on this one because the pile of parts being spoken of here belong to our son in law. Deeper than that, the Schwinn belonged to our son in law's father, whom passed away when he was a child.

Our son in law got the Bike Bug as-is (really bad) at a yard sale, but in the present condition, only clamped it to the "bike in the shed", presumably, as a place to store it until the motivation set in to do something with it. (I remember those days....3 year old kids....working 12 hours a day....all the resposibilities of young married life...)

The bike has been sitting rotting away for a few decades in a storage shed, (at his mothers house in another town not too far away, but far enough to forget about the bike or the engine) but now it will see a "rehabilitation". I say that instead of "restoration" because to restore it, would entail making it factory fresh, or "better". What we are aiming for is making the bike and engine ride-able, usable and reliable. Some nice paint, and maybe even some new frame stickers would be a bonus.

The aluminum is pretty bad, as is the chrome, and the point is to make the bike as ridden, not as new.....but who knows where this may lead.

The only limiting factor I suppose, is that I have to have it done by Christmas this year. Thanks Mrs. Joe, for the "sudden application of forced motivation" other wise known as "a deadline". ;)

I will post pictures as we go, then of course just like "reality tv" the Big Reveal will be posted later on.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Joe that is just a great project for Mrs. Joe and you, to say it has character would be an understatement! The 'Bike Bug' in particular catches the eye - it'd be great if you could salvage the original sticker or find a duplicate, I really like the lettering.

Best yet is that it's a team project! Go Joes!!!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I really like the rusty vinage look of it!!
The style thats going around these days it to have a bike thats as old as possible & unrestored that works & rides perfect!!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I really like the rusty vinage look of it!!
The style thats going around these days it to have a bike thats as old as possible & unrestored that works & rides perfect!!
That would surely save me a lot of work. ;) If the paint hadn't been sanded through in several places, I would leave it "as original", but it's a mess, and I am looking forward to making a perfectly workable, nice looking bike. If this was say, a Corvette, and was "patina'ed" I would leave it alone, but this one is just plain ugly and sad.

I know all the stickers can be had cheap enough, and the white paint is a snap to match. I may have to buy a set of handlebars, and a couple other items to make it minty and almost new. It is definitely not going to be a 100 point resto.

I liberated the Bike Bug today, and have the rest soaking in PB Blaster....

Attachments

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Joe thanks for the reminder,i bought 3 bike bug's last summer an you jolted my mind.Time to put them to work.I also have a donor motor that might have a part you need.H.D.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No new photos, but a quick update.

The bike is stripped all the way down and there is almost no major rust, except the cables, which will all need to be replaced. The rims and tires are acceptable, and most of the chrome is salvagable, except the bars, I'll be looking for another set of those.

Should be an easy re-hab. I will need to find some REASONABLE priced Schwinn Suburban decals if possible.

The Bike Bug is a different story, it's going to need a lot of work and some parts.

The official deadline is Dec. 26th.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
ive got a couple donor bikes out back good cable brake parts etc if i can help let me know gonna give the stuff away anyway so i will ship, cheaper than hauling it away to durango or grand junction, i think that is only the second one of those motors ive seen, who sold them?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Joe thanks for the reminder,i bought 3 bike bug's last summer an you jolted my mind.Time to put them to work.I also have a donor motor that might have a part you need.H.D.
hey doc, you should make a dual motored bike, one on the front tire and one on the rear tire. you could call it "the swarm," and i bet you could almost go 20mph, and get 200 MPT (miles per tire;))

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The Bike Bug/Spitz/FreeSpirit were made by Tanaka. Part are still available (sorta), but I make anything i need instead of paying outragious prices and waiting forever to get them.
My TAS Spitz would do 23mph! I plan on using a slightly larger roller, will be good for 25 mph. But, as we are not racing this one, it should be able to cruise at 15 mph with no problems.

I got the bike all stripped (used stripper instead of sandpaper for the first time in 30 years of doing this kind of thing) and it was a lot faster. No dust! Not too many fumes! Burns the skin like no sandpaper can!!!!

The bike itself is in good shape. The Bike Bug, not-so-much....
More later.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Time for the sad update....

The bicycle part is done except paint, which will be done this week if it warms up a bit like they said it's supposed to. (pictures pending)

I didn't have to buy anything, and it's looking pretty good as a 10 footer, and a rideable resto of sorts.

The sad part is the Bike Bug is hurting and going to need a lot more than a quick re-hab as I was hoping...I won't give up, but the Christmas deadline is not looking good at the monent for the bug.