Velocar cyclecar semi-replica.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Excellent!
You must be in the flowering of spring there in NZ. How good is that, eh? Autumn has come to my part of the world with the first snow just a few weeks away. Jack Frost's big annual art show is underway and it is a glory, but after the revels have passed there is always much leaf litter about and after that an endless white cold descends upon the forest. It is some comfort to know that at least our Intrepid Wheel Woman is occasionally pedaling about while I feed my wood stove. Keep smiling in the sunlight, my friend, and share your progress please.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
..could all of us fly here-and-there, according to season: from North to South and opposite? I addore Srping, but without Autumn, we shall not know the beauty of it? But, it would be good to avoid hot Summer and cold Winter!
--- ---
Annie, you made a good choice to solve problems of hybrid power and especially of front-wheel drive! It would be almost as Villard/Colombay!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If you move to America and get a motorhome, you can be a snowbird, migrate to suit the weather.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
If you move to America and get a motorhome, you can be a snowbird, migrate to suit the weather.
Ludwig,
I had DIY motto-camper, but it was stolen before finished - some decades ago! Then, with my present wife had plans to buy one new and cruise around - but, abounded such plans. Of course, I would be satisifed wiht one old school bus or lorry converted for mobile living - but, that is only me!
Europe isn't so small, and we could travel from North (Norway?) to South (Greece?) according to moving of sun... But, as practical solution, we choose staying here in Swiss during Summer (too hot in Belgrade) and Winter (good Christmass atmosphere), and Spring and Autumn in Serbia... For now!

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello Annie,
I know that you like them, and that you know a lot of possible solutions for engine-over-front-wheel system...

Here is quite unusual, from our beloved designer Neuman Neander: his "dreirad", but with power on fixed front wheel and steering by rear wheels! (as I could see that).
I couldn't find any text about it or sketches, but - generally, couldn't be sure in practicality of rear-wheel steering for any speeds over fast pedestrians. However, there were a lot use of such concepts, from HPV to quite fast, big and heavy automobiles.

Anybody had such experience on any kind of vehicle?

Attached are photos of "dreirad" and one photo of classic solution.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Neumann design is supposed to be derived from a last ditch suicide type anti-tank vehicle. I have driven forklifts for a living, and I will tell you now, it takes a substantial reappraisal of control responses if it starts to slide when you are dealing with rear wheel steering.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
The Neumann design is supposed to be derived from a last ditch suicide type anti-tank vehicle. I have driven forklifts for a living, and I will tell you now, it takes a substantial reappraisal of control responses if it starts to slide when you are dealing with rear wheel steering.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Ludwig,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]I never tried to drive forklift, but was watching it work in one factory for which I worked many years ago! Quite maneuverable machine and excellent for its tasks, especially in hands of professional...[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Some dozen years ago, I worked for a few months as night guard in one bank and having time, made a lot of sketches about unusual HPV: tilting 3-wheeler and 4-wheeler in various systems - and rear wheel steering 3-wheelers, both delta types and tadpoles... [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Studying my sketches, I noticed that rear-wheel steered HPV have great mobility but for turning need more space on "wrong" side, especially with rear part! Almost impossible to avoid pedestrian or some object: pole, tree, cars or other bicyclist... Probably quite quick response in turns and nervous on straights... I was thinking about such system again, as reconstruction of my present HPV-quadricycle could be something easier in rear-wheel steering velocar...

Would like to try to drive one, but wouldn't like to risk my money and time to build one!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]P.S.: Annie, sorry for stealing your space![/FONT]

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A forklift on a wet, oily and empty polished concrete floor is fun, but it takes a bit of learning to get it right when throwing it around. On a road you do not have the luxury of time and space to become at ease with rear steer, especially if you overcook it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A forklift on a wet, oily and empty polished concrete floor is fun, but it takes a bit of learning to get it right when throwing it around. On a road you do not have the luxury of time and space to become at ease with rear steer, especially if you overcook it.
How well i know drove one for years, and also a pallet stand up platform truck,used to go under skids and transport. They are longer then forklifts,kind of like Home depot have for pallets.............Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
P.S.: Annie, sorry for stealing your space!
That's fine Zoran, this is all supposed to be fun afterall :)

Yes I did take a look at the Neander dreirad and had myself a very good think about it, but came to the conclusion that the steering characteristics are far too 'exciting' for what will be an everyday use vehicle that's supposed to be helping me to keep mobile.

I have quite a few drawings of wartime rear steer velocar designs and while I find them interesting to have in my archives I certainly wouldn't seriously try to build one.
This article is one I've posted before and while the velocar that's the subject of the article is certainly a little cutie I think it would take a brave person to try driving it in modern traffic.

Attachments

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Annie,
I must agree with you: rear-wheel steering isn't for regular traffic, even on local roads, or not-busy streets!

Wheel-Bender,
Magnificent wood-work there - pity that he didn't finished it for kids...
That is design of Stevenson Project, precisely of Pete Stevenson, my old Internet friend that passed-away a couple years ago. They still have plans for half-a-dozen of pedal-cars! On internet could be fined similar diary about building Stevenson's pedal-Bugatti!

Genial ideas that could be used for velocar? Interesting is their front "suspension" and steering. I asked a few times on similar forums, but no answer: could such system be used for adult vehicle with bigger and stronger components?

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Cool Bananas! :D

I like that very much and only 300 pounds Sterling postage to New Zealand too ;)

I have the official plans for the Stevenson's MG pedalcar as I was going to settle into building pedalcars for fun and profit, only I got sick (again!) and it all came to a screaming halt.
The 'Intrepid' threewheeler is supposed to be a trial run exercise to see if I can manage to build car shaped objects in my own little workshop and this Summer that's exactly what I shall do. We're still in our early Spring monsoon season with heavy rain and thunderstorms which is annoying, but when Summer arrives we'll get the big dry which always makes the local dairy farmers' faces go all long and sad. Good bicycling weather though :D

Attachments

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Cool Bananas! :D

I like that very much and only 300 pounds Sterling postage to New Zealand too ;)

I have the official plans for the Stevenson's MG pedalcar as I was going to settle into building pedalcars for fun and profit, only I got sick (again!) and it all came to a screaming halt.
The 'Intrepid' threewheeler is supposed to be a trial run exercise to see if I can manage to build car shaped objects in my own little workshop and this Summer that's exactly what I shall do. We're still in our early Spring monsoon season with heavy rain and thunderstorms which is annoying, but when Summer arrives we'll get the big dry which always makes the local dairy farmers' faces go all long and sad. Good bicycling weather though :D
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Annie,
After a few nice days, we had now thunderstorm - Autumn is here after no-Summer period.
--- ---
In spite looking nice, such body shouldn't be for my velocar (if ever built): too expensive - and, too nice for amateur build! Beside, I would prefer real Morgan, if not such Plus Eight then one 3-wheeler!
--- ---
During my internet friendship with Pete Stevenson, we discussed building pedal-cars by their plans, in Serbia. He gave me permission for that (without any compensation for produced cars), but didn't believe that there could be any money for me. Production could be cheaper in Serbia, but final prices lower than in USA. Who knows: maybe possible business and pleasure? Or his Buffy-Person gravity racer (down-coaster car)? Maybe to cut all wooden parts for dozen of them and assemble one per month? As Richard done – some photos attached that illustrate his “serial production” for charity purposes!
[/FONT]

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Yes it would be very much more fun than profit for me Zoran, but that's OK :)

Richard's pedalcar production line is interesting, but I don't think I will be doing anything like that sort of volume. I don't like using noisy machine tools very much at all as I prefer the zen and silence of using hand tools.

Here's a really nice vintage pedalcar picture to bring a smile to everyone's faces....... :)

Attachments

Last edited: