Help with tires for my Sportsman 80!

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Coker's are hard to get on the Worksman ALLOY wheels, but go right on the STEEL wheels.
I have ran a few sets of these tires. Don't like the way they handle. There were some steel Worksman rims floating around that were slightly undersized so these tires mounted easier to those rims. When it comes to motorbikes I prefer nice tight beads and tough tires. I still prefer the Maxxis Hookworm. Maybe not the best looking to some, but they are tough and handle well. I run them with the Maxxis downhill MTB tube.
Since I'm talking personal preference I find the Felt Quick Bricks too soft in the side wall and a bit on the thin side through the tread. Fine for a pedal cruiser, not good for an engine powered bike.
The Felt Circuit seems a bit tougher than the Quick Brick.
When it comes to tire choice I worry less about how a tire looks and more about how tough they are and then how well they handle.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Get yourself a set of these.

http://www.classic-cycle.de/en/Tire...Tire-26-x-2-Moped-2-22-Continental-black.html

I had them on my bike and they worked great, they are moped rated in Europe and these guys are easy to communicate with and have fast shipping to the U.S.
The Continental looks like an excellent tire. I have not tried these but plan too.

The Bontrager Hank is a good tire, handles great. A bit light duty through the side walls. There was an earlier post in this thread comparing tire weight in grams. Now that seems like an excellent way to rate tires.

All my above statements about quality, except for the Continental which I have never used, are based on actual experiences with tire I have purchased and used. Seems I always come back to the Hookworm for my personal bikes.

Last edited:

Spumoni

Sep 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks for posting that picture - I never seem to have luck posting photos in these forums.

I'm amazed at the fit and finish of this Sportsman 80 - it was a dream assembling this bike. I am very impressed with the way the sprocket adapter fits the back hub, and how carefully thought out the engine mounts are. How about that seat!!!?? I stretched the assembly over 3 nights because it was so much fun! I don't know if I should ride it, or hang it on my wall.

I WISHED it wasn't 20 degrees outside... I'm DYING to start this thing up and take it for a spin.

If anyone is considering a sportsman, TRUST ME, you won't be disappointed. It really doesn't get any better than this! Pat has an excellent thing going - he really knows his stuff, and provided incredible support during the whole build.

Thanks for everything Pat! I still have my eye on that Bonnie...