older dimension edge kit

GoldenMotor.com

tankboy

Jun 22, 2009
louisville kentucky
i recently bought a kit from a seller on craigslist that was set up for an e-bike recumbant. i thought i could figure out the way to mount it to my old mountain bike without the factory instruction sheet but after a week of improvised parts and frustration i broke down and called the manufacturer in billings montana. he promptly sent me an installation booklet and a throttle cable. the kit is running fine now with a mitsubishi tle43 engine and a 1&1/2 inch roller. i have a staton friction kit with a robin subaru 33 cc motor on another bike so i am getting used to the engagement lever on the d.e. kit. i am still a little confused about the oil gas ratio on the motor. the staton website lists it as 40 to 1 while dimension edge says 50 to 1. any advice would be appreciated!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
i recently bought a kit from a seller on craigslist that was set up for an e-bike recumbant. i thought i could figure out the way to mount it to my old mountain bike without the factory instruction sheet but after a week of improvised parts and frustration i broke down and called the manufacturer in billings montana. he promptly sent me an installation booklet and a throttle cable. the kit is running fine now with a mitsubishi tle43 engine and a 1&1/2 inch roller. i have a staton friction kit with a robin subaru 33 cc motor on another bike so i am getting used to the engagement lever on the d.e. kit. i am still a little confused about the oil gas ratio on the motor. the staton website lists it as 40 to 1 while dimension edge says 50 to 1. any advice would be appreciated!

My first kit many years ago was that 43cc Dimesion Edge. I used the recommended 50:1 and put several thousand miles on that engine no problem. That is also what was recommended for the Homelite weedwackers on my DIY friction drives. It works so well I decided to use that ratio on my HT for the last few years and they also seem to be holding up fine. Less oil means cooler engine.

Some manuals suggest 16:1 to start then 30:1 which is what they use in china with motor oil. Everyone must decide for themselves. As Joe says, different strokes for different folks.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I believe Staton has updated that info to 50:1 for the TLE43.
Because of the cylinder scavenging system on these engines they have a tendency
to carbon up with excess oil and operate best at 50:1. On a new engine I run the first tank at 40:1 (roughly one quart) and then immediately go to 50:1, on a used engine I would only run 50:1.