My Craigslist Find

GoldenMotor.com

Shady760

Apr 18, 2016
San Diego CA
I recently purchased this bike on Craigslist for $100 and feel I got a good deal. I've been wanting this frame itself for a couple months and when I saw the posting I couldn't resist but to jump on it. There was a 2 stroke motor on it prior, which was disassembled when I got it. I just purchased a 4 stroke HS Motor from Gasbike.net and should arrive hopefully tomorrow. My question now is there's that middle post on my frame and hoping the motor will clear it. I've read through so many threads tonight for the past 2 hours my eyes burn haha! I'd like to get a locking gas cap for it, unsure of the size right now that will fit. Is there a difference on the CDI's from the 2 stroke or 4 stroke the one on there looks good and new, there's no kill switch but an awesome throttle handle. I have to find the front brake assembly for Sturmey Archer X-FD hub on the front. I've attached a picture of the bike if anyone has suggestions that would be awesome. I had the damnest time finding 9mm for the front wheel..ha! But other than that without the engine this just glides and is really comfortable. Hoping the engine fits and looking to upgrade the Air Filter and exhaust if that's possible. It has a 44 tooth sprocket on the back with the adapter I intend not really change anything minus just placing the motor in there and figuring out how to detach the throttle cable from the Air Filter that it's currently connected to. Forgive me for the ignorance first and foremost I've just started getting into the whole motorized bicycles and I'm freaking hooked and learn more and more everyday thanks to you all here on the forum, wish I would had found a little sooner though!

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Dang... you stole that bike shady! the seat alone is almost worth the price if it came with it. You should be able to saw the pedestal engine mount off easy if its in your way. or you can put the 4 stroke on a different cruiser bike and just get a new 2 stroke motor for the GT frame for under 100 bucks. Either way your golden. The CDI is different for a 2 stroke. The 4 stroke should have a internal CDI of some type built in. kill switch is dirt cheap on ebay or any of the sponsors of the site.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Man for that price I sure hope you didn't buy a stolen bike!

The pedestal mount can be removed like zip tie said. I've never seen a locking gas cap, but I would NOT recommend leaving that bike out where someone could steal the gas, or worse the whole bike. CDIs are different. A kill switch would be easy enough to wire up. My gx200 bike has the kill switch on the engine. The air filter is attached to the carburetor, which is what the throttle cable is attached to. To remove it, unscrew the cap where the cable goes in. It's about the size of a coke bottle cap. The whole slide assembly will come out. Push the cable down, compressing the spring, and there should be a small lead ball at the end of the cable. It's sitting in a recess in the slide. Pop it out and everything falls apart at that point.

A CDI will come with the new engine. Same for the carburetor and exhaust. If you're crafty, you can make a long pipe exhaust to direct the exhaust behind you.

Good luck with your cool new project!

Shady760

Apr 18, 2016
San Diego CA
Thanks guys! No it's not stolen the woman I got it from said it was her ex-husbands and had been sitting in the garage for over a year and she had no use for it. So yes pretty stoked got the motor today but it's missing the wide pedal crank. ha! So need to contact them to get that, but other than that, looking forward to my first real build. All the others have been bikes I've purchased already had the motor on them, I would just upgrade a few things on them and re-sell them to get something different. I think I'm going to keep this one, stoked on getting it all put together, should be a challenge for myself.

Shady760

Apr 18, 2016
San Diego CA
Well finally have gotten it all together for the most part, but now having issues with the carb I'm thinking it is. Starts after a few attempts once I get going though it only allows me to be about 1/4 throttle anything past that it bogs down, I may a video on my way home in hopes to figure it out on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youdDWiXli4

I'm going to take the carb off and clean it and check everything, the motor is brand new from Gas Bike which will probably be the last time I purchase from them. Customer Service is horrible if there is any, I was missing a part and emailed and called still no answer, called today to see if others where having same issue had to leave a message... I went like 7-10 mph and had to pedal assist up tiny hills today....what a drag.

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Are you using the choke.it the grey knob on the backside of the carb (air cleaner) When mine was running right and stock, i would choke it and most times 1 pull maybe two if it sat a feww days and it would start, high idle and drop down, choke off at that point (~5sec) and it would run like a top.

Shady760

Apr 18, 2016
San Diego CA
Yes choke was wide open, I've tried it all sorts of ways. I found a local company nearby that said they could work on it. After spending all weekend in the garage putting everything together, I'm beat! haha! But did manage to pick up a 2 stroke on a beach cruiser frame over the weekend....Score! Just needed gas and oil...hahaha best $30 bucks spent in awhile!