Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Hdmelo

Oct 2, 2013
Florida
No matter how much I turn the flower nut the clutch lever will not get easier or harder to pull in.. What is happening? Clutch pads maybe ?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Have you lubricated the clutch cable?
Are there any sharp bends in the cable routing along the bike? Sharp bends are no good. Cables need smooth flowing bends or the inner wire gets bound up by excessive friction, weather they are lubed or not.

Turning the flower nut only affects fine adjustment of the clutch for initial set up and for clutch tuning as the friction pads wear down with use.

To gain a better understanding of the clutch, have you read these threads?
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=222
and
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

They are stickies, the 3rd and 4th threads in the 2 stroke section, for quick reference in the future.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
wouldn't hurt anything to take the flower nut off then remove the pressure plate & look - it won't burst open on you

Hdmelo

Oct 2, 2013
Florida
i took off the clutch pads and ordered new ones, i think i found the problem after hours of researching. the ball bearing was missing, i replaced it with a one from a bike wheel, do you think that could've been the problem? that and old clutch pads? thanks for the reply.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The ball bearing is a critical part of the clutch actuating system. Without it you'll never be able to adjust the clutch and it will never disengage. What was the diamater of the ball bearing you installed? It should be about 5/16" in diameter or about 8mm, the same as the bucking bar. It should just fit loosly in the hole in the center of the engine drive sprocket.
Make sure you lubricate it well along with the bucking bar and the cam in the clutch actuating cover. Use a good grade of bearing grease. Not oil.

Tom

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That bearing is too small. It should be the same diameter as the bucking bar.
The bearing you have now will end up riding off center and create a wobbling effect in the assembly, not visible from the outside, but internally.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
5/16in & 8mm are only about a couple thousandths diff in size, so you should be able to find one somewhere - OTOH, I'd use that small one if I had to for a couple days while looking for a good one - pack so much grease into the hole that you need to force the ball and bar into it

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What they said:
Try Ace Hardware. The one near me has ball bearings in both SAE and metric sizes. If they can't help you look for a local bearing supply. Whatever, you'll be much better off with the proper sized ball bearing.

What you need to keep in mind is that the diameter of the ball will also impact clutch adjustment. In other words, ball diameter equates to length of the bucking bar and the ball. If you get the clutch adjusted for the small ball you now have you'll have to readjust when you replace the ball with a larger one.

Tom