is it legal and what do you guys think about 2 stroke off of amozon

GoldenMotor.com

boss4457

Dec 17, 2013
ohio
is it legal to ride a 80cc 2 stroke engine and ohio for a 12 year old and what do you guy think about the amazon 2 stroke engine or should i buy the stinger on here .shft.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
is it legal to ride a 80cc 2 stroke engine and ohio for a 12 year old and what do you guy think about the amazon 2 stroke engine or should i buy the stinger on here .
Welcome to the forum.

there is no such thing as an 80 cc engine as they are approx 66cc.

I doubt if it is legal for a 12 year old to ride a motorized bicycle in most states on public property.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would seriously recommend you check your local laws regarding legal riding of a motorized bicycle. Most states require either a minimum age of 16 and/or a valid driver's license.

Even so, twelve years old, in many cases, is a little on the young side. They might look like toys but a vehicle capable of traveling in the 30mph range requires some experience and care. Knowledge of traffic laws and rules are also required for safe riding if the bike is ridden on any street or roads.
Are you asking about age for yourself or someone else?

Like was said above, there are no real 80cc engines. That figure is a marketing ploy, not actual engine displacement. The actual displacement is closer to 66cc. Most 2 stroke engine kits are all about the same, especially the ones sold on ebay or amazon. Stick with a seller with a good reputation for customer/after sale support.

Tom

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Don't get busted riding your motorbike, if you do you'll make the local police take a stance against these things. In reality you should put it away until you are 16 and can get a motorcycle cert., right now you're riding dirty and making the rest of us at risk, especially locally.

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Don't worry 16v4nrbrgr, I had the guts to ride up to 4 police in San Rafael and novato and they said be safe and them and the other cops won't bother me.
Asked cops here in Mesa AZ too, and I'm cool!
-Zane

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Okayyy... be careful, I have gotten crap from a park ranger before by Sam Taylor Park, and I was legally regged, plated, and had my cert on me. These bikes are a rare freedom, and if its abused they will take it away, since these bikes aren't taxable, and aren't regulated.

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
What city are you in? My place is low crime rate and very few cops, and they could care less as long as I'm being safe. I don't ride my bike in some places as I don't want to blow it.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'm in West Marin, and this too is a pocket of freedom, but if you follow the truth about the direction things are going around here, you'll tread lightly. My experience has been that there are people who like to see the bikes on the road, then there are stuffy killjoys who turn up their nose and cup their ears, these are the people you need to be careful around because they tend to be politically active and will cause a stink if they see a youngster riding on a small two stroke motorcycle (they won't see it your way, believe me). If it doesn't directly affect them, they are more than willing to support the ploice infringing upon your rights, and you're not in a rightful position to be riding until you're 16 and have a learner's permit.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Steer clear of the "elected public officials" and you should be okay, they have a negative track record that you can research if you wanna have a good laugh, or throw up in your mouth a bit. lol

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Haha, yeah I saw one of those signs in Nicasio, guess the road bikers ride down the road gabbing like gossiping housewives, lol!

I've got a couple two strokes and an electric that actually makes more long distance noise than my two stroke since it's 6000w. I've gotten crap from a guy in San Anselmo before, he ran out of his house and told me his baby was trying to sleep, and I did my best to not piss him off. Two strokes make a "racing sound" that people just aren't used to hearing around here, this is a very genteel softened society in Marin, with pockets of hardcore that don't want to live in the city, which are being driven out by the rich greenies who feel they have the right to tell their neighbors what to do.

Last edited:

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Aw that sucks. I saw that same sign. I used to go collect live jellyfish down in the bay. I made a special habitat they could survive in.
Here in arizona I can take off my muffler, because the sounds at night are reving engines, airplants and drifting noises :)

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I just try to make bikes pretty enough that the authoritarians are persuaded to see things my way. If they were ratty I'm sure they would treat me like a scum invasion. :D

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dammmnnnn! why? is every one Bagg'n on the Young Man I met an 18 yr Dr. the other day but Ya what there is always a hater or two some where, people who just wanna rag probably because they're angery at them self for their lack of accomplishments, low self esteem, maybe they got beat up by a girl who knows ?????
You Keep Rock'n Dude I wish you the best Carider.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well I was'nt ragging on the kid, if you read through the thread you'd see that. I just don't want him to get in deep doo, and have that **** start rolling downhill toward us riders who are legally licensed and registered adults. If you lived in this area you'd know why I expressed the need for him to exercise caution when riding in the North Bay, its a low crime area with a high level of control, and as such you need to be careful to no rub the authorie the wrong way.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I didn't build my first bike until my freshman year of highschool,I got into a bad accident a week later... I learned the hard way. They ARE a learning curve and there is no right or wrong way of doing things when it comes to building them. I've built roughly 50 bikes, 9 being my own. The more you build the more you learn, the better you get. I'd recommend before building, you replace the mounting hardware with some higher grade materials. Being 12, I personally would wait a little bit, they do require routine maintenance and you should be mechanically inclined before attempting to build. I'm not saying you're not, but the first build is usually the hardest. I'd also recommend buying kits off of Bikeberry or Ebay(avoid the sellers boygofast and luckyearlybird) They're indeed fun, BUT they are also dangerous if not ridden safely. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
is it legal to ride a 80cc 2 stroke engine and ohio for a 12 year old and what do you guy think about the amazon 2 stroke engine or should i buy the stinger on here .shft.
You have to be 14 to get a moped license in Ohio. Build an off road bike for your son. Then let him get in practice riding off road. Then by the time he's old enough for a moped license he'll have riding experience.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You have to be 14 to get a moped license in Ohio. Build an off road bike for your son. Then let him get in practice riding off road. Then by the time he's old enough for a moped license he'll have riding experience.
There's a workable idea. He'll have two years to practice.

But...I'm afraid 50cc is the most Ohio will allow without license and registration. Not trying to be a party pooper, just didn't want you to have any illusions about that. You still have options: you could just go with the 50cc engine, or you could go with the (66) 80cc engine and get it licensed - that's been done. I could point out that some get the (66) 80cc engine and keep it hush-hush but ;) I can't knowingly advocate that option.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
To be completely honest there aren't a whole lot of differences between the 66cc and the 49/50cc. The 66 has a slightly larger piston and when you run each one side by side stock you can see. I ran my 49cc along side my buddies 66cc and I was only 3-4 feet behind him both at full throttle. The 49cc vibrates alot less and with the right gearing and performance parts you can get it to give you the oompf the 66cc's have. I personally think the 49cc's are an altogether smoother ride. A stock 49/50 goes anywhere from 25-30mph max sometimes 35. A stock 66/80 will go between 35-40. You're looking at 5mph more. Just gear up and build on your 48cc and you'll get a much more pleasant ride. I know this from experience. I've had more 66/80's break on me than I've had the 49/50's. I had a 48cc skyhawk last me 4 years and still ran strong when I sold it. Want to climb hills? Larger rear sprocket, want speed and fun? Run a smaller rear sprocket. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
80ccs are pretty dangerous for a 12 year old. I wouldn't trust a 12 year old to have the confidence to know what to do in a hazardous situation.