24x3 Thornproof OR Downhill tube recomendations

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
And Where to get em. Just aquired a Felt Chief with Thick Bricks on it. Im looking for some THICK 24X3 tubes. Little help guys?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You scored with that chief dude...I'm so jealous regardless what you paid. No help with tubes as I only do 26 and up these days, but had to congrat you again.
Jaw dropping build expected...I been talking you up.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
kenda and sunlite make 24" thorn resistant tubes. the boxes say 1.95 - 2.3, but the tubes themselves are stamped 2.125.

i've used them both, and they fit.

online, you can find them for 6.99 + shipping at biketiresdirect.com
or you should be able to find a bike store that carries them, but they usually run $10-15.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I don't like the thorn proof tubes. I have been running the Maxxis downhill MTB tubes. Try Jenson USA.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
There is a abundance of 26x what ever tubes but not 24X3.0 in my experience. I would be very interested and impressed to see someone found one? Until then ''shrug'' a fellow can just stay away from 3.0 size in 24 inch tires and have to use a tire smaller like 2.0 or even smaller tire to get a thicker tube for real..:(

I mean it would represent a heavy duty tube then. There are no 24X3.0 tubes. I looked for two entire days and made phone calls clean clear across the nation! That smaller tube once stretched out will much thinner walled,, in a nut shell that is simply a paper thin tube and all the ones I tried bummed me out.

Dang stickers out here are like a Holocaust.

Got a link?!!! I think it is like Big Foot sightings only a myth? IME If one can cross over to a motorcycle tube they will have much better luck!

http://www.jensonusa.com/!ExPJ8tIBn7dAqlbrMTBkIA!/Duro-Mountain-Schrader-Valve-Tube
http://www.jensonusa.com/!ExPJ8tIBn7dAqlbrMTBkIA!/Duro-Mountain-Presta-Valve-Tube

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I use the Meztler brand tube .My box is marked as this 19" Type A = 3.25/4.10, 110/80 to 130/80, 100/90, 110/90.. Known as Metzeler ME-E 19 M/C

I just went to my closet and grabbed a new tube to check. This tube will ''only work with a extra wide rim'' Such as the Large marge. If you actually ran into a tube rated just a bit less girthy?

On a wide rim this tube fits and I mean just fits. They are in my opinion a match made in heaven!!:D(^)You air it up and it is hella thick! Thicker than a good many other so called heavy duty tubes. I don't think one can make this fit with a narrow rim combination tho.:(

Sportscarpat is right the mountain bikes tubes are generally just as thick. Just cannot find them in 24x3.0

I had a 87-5955 tube 70/100 -19 This gets you here. http://www.speedsupplies.com/accessorylistingdetailpurch.asp?item=20699 but sadly it was a tad too small. It was however a freaky thick tube. Thicker than anything I ever saw in any bicycle tube ever. For a narrow rim set I would look for a tube just a hair bigger in girth? If I was to go that rout again.

That is as far as I got.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I don't think 15 mm will make much difference at all it will be close. I was running tires exactly like your thick Bricks before made by the same folks
and switch to the Cyclops 24X2.4 tire. It still worked absolutely flawlessly. So I would say that is 15mm difference for sure...

So my recent change in tire size was liken to.. 15mm =.59 inches = 24x30 change to 24x2.4

https://www.google.com/search?q=15m...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

This tube is frig gen big and danged thick to boot!

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I really like those Berm Masters. Wish they would make both 24 and 26" Thanks for the help on the odd size tube. Like I said: I'll post with pics when I put em on so all can see.