Running your bike in place

GoldenMotor.com

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
I have an exercise bike frame for mounting my bicycle and peddling in place in the winter months indoor. I have been thinking of using this to mount my motor bike and then starting in so I can work on it in place with engine running. Has anyone tried this or made a different type of mount? And do you need resistance on the rear wheel for starting the motor in such a mount? Thanks

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
It will probably be easier to start because there is no resistance or weight on the wheel, you will be able to pedal faster to start it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You have to consider that the engine is air cooled. That's what the cooling fins are for. It requires some air passing over it to dissipate the heat. I wouldn't suggest running the engine for long periods of time without some means of cooling.
If you have a large fan/blower you could use, that would suffice. In fact that's what I do in my garage. I have the blower section from an old gas furnace and I aim it at the engine. Never had a problem.
Tom

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hi oldguy. I'm an old guy too and need to run my bike stationary sometimes. So I made a simple stand from 2X4 lumber and some steel strap. Works great and folds and stands up for easy storage.

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
I love it!!! I will get some 2 x 4's today. What kind of strapping did you use for the stand at the rear wheel. P.S. I love the bike too.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I got the metal from Lowes or Home Depot. It's 1/4'' X 1 1/2'' X 3'. A couple of 1X2 rails to contain the front wheel and 2 eyes on the front cross piece for tie downs. I actually went one step further and had a machinist buddy of mine make special rear axle nuts with grooves in them for all my motor bikes.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Rear wheel looks like flat iron, bent to fit (looks like 2-3" wide). Can be bought at Lowe's, or home Depot to name a few. Now, may I ask what engine that is?

Last edited:

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
Went to Lowe's today and bought angle iron with holes drilled in it. I bought this because of the strength. Will begin construction tomorrow. I have a small machine shop/bike shop behind the house so I am good there. Thanks.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Rear wheel looks like flat iron, bent to fit (looks like 2-3" wide). Can be bought at Lowe's, or home Depot to name a few. Now, may I ask what engine that is?
Hey Al. Yes it's a Briggs 5hp. I have 6 Briggs powered bikes. Three under construction and three up and running. You can research my threads and see them all until I get an album up on my home page. Thanks for the interest.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I used a bike trainer the first time I fired my motor bike. Just don't run it over 5 minutes while stationary.
Before I had a center stand, I would use the bike trainer to hold my bike level while doing maintenance and mods.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Now, may I ask what engine that is?
msrfan #12 and his Grandson #11 raced two of his 5 hp Briggs bikes at my June 18th Willow Springs race.

They came in 1st and 2nd in the small 4 stroke class and
2nd and 3rd in the race of all the classes.
Not only does msrfan build some beautiful Briggs bikes they perform
pretty well too!

A pic at the starting line of the all the classes race.
they beat #33 bairdco....

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This probably goes without saying, but I'm paranoid this way: in addition to a fan to keep the engine cool, I'd open a couple windows when you do this. Carbon monoxide and all.

You probably knew this, and it was implied, so forgive me. Couldn't help myself.