Long time away.

GoldenMotor.com

LincolnMercury

Oct 28, 2008
Oxford, FL
Ok... LONG TIME no post. I was working on a Micargi Mustang with a 110cc Longcin motor. That bike and another cruiser got stolen. Fortunately the Mustang had a Zoom Bicycles 80cc fitted and not the Longcin. Unfortunately the cruiser was sold and I had to buy another bike and motor to replace it. Here is that bike. I have been riding it to break in the engine and make sure everything (EVERYTHING) is locktited and shake proof. The engine is my last ZB 80cc and it runs smooth and strong. The bike is a Schwinn Clairmont that I have gone through headset to rear hub for correct bearing and cone adjustment and grease content.Did I mention EVERY nut and bolt has blue or red locktite on it? Anyway, pictures of it on my Park bike stand (a great investment) and then riding out and about. This past saturday I attended the Hideaway's anniversary part and bike night. The bike was well received and folks were suprised at the get up and go it had. Yes, I let the sober bikers test ride the Schwinn; I held onto their wallets or Harley keys. Had great fun!

Attachments

LincolnMercury

Oct 28, 2008
Oxford, FL
Detail Pics of front mount using a 1 1/2" exhaust pipe clamp and supplied oversize downtube plate; rear mount with an extra "cut down" mount inbetween. With these in place, the motor sits above the stock chain guard. the last pic is of a barrier block from Radio Shack hot glued to the CDI to tidy the wiring up.

Attachments

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Very nice build. I'm thinking of building one just like it. Problem is nobody stocks this bike locally so I'll have to order it sight unseen. Do you think it would be a good fit for a guy 6'4" tall and 240 lbs.? I'm thinking of mounting a Grubee 66/80 cc engine, sound good?

LincolnMercury

Oct 28, 2008
Oxford, FL
@ gobigkahuna: the seat post is long enough for your frame. The Grubee should fit just fine. I used my last Zoom Bicycles slant head 80cc (they no longer import to the US) on it. With the exhaust clamp and plate on the front and the spacer (cut down rear mount) in-between the rear mount, everything fits fine! I did have to cut out the rear fender for chain relief. With the tires @ the recommended 40psi, the ride is a little "hard". I am going to try 30psi in the front and 35psi in the rear to try and cushion the ride a little. I am 165 lbs, with a 36 tooth sprocket and the engine still in the "break-in" period, I was clocked by radar @ 33 mph. I built this bike for a friend and I am loath to turn it over. I am going to build another based on this frame. The look is "classic".

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
gobigkahuna; schwinn cruzers are just too small for me 6-1 270 [50lb's of fat protecting my atlas body] try looking for a dyno or kustum kruiser, their longer 5'' horz drops like a motorcycle and wider in the rear.5'' and uses shimano gear. with a set back seat post and ape hangers its nice and roomey and a little more stable at speed for bigger guy's.aloha bro. dennis

I ordered mine for wally world. Shipped to my house was in the $170 range. Mine did have a small dent in the fender that must have come from the factory. The outside of the box was perfect condition.

Other thing I noticed was the white wall line on the tire is not straight. When you spin it you can see that it "wobbles". Just the paint though, not the rim. Gonna get me one of those sharpie pens with paint in them and redo the black line so it's straight.

I suggestion though. Once I got mine put together and seat adjusted, I flipped it over to adjust the shifter. Because my seat was set so low, the bike sat on the handlebars and the rack in back. Needless to say my rack is a little bent because of this. Try to avoid this lol.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@dmb - The day after my post I went back to Wally World and sat on just about every Schwinn cruiser they had. They just didn't fit well at all (and I'm 6'5"). I did, however try that 29" wheel cruiser and it fit like a glove. I didn't buy it because of the issues others are having with converting it and ordered the 29" mountain bike they offer instead (although I still prefer the looks of a cruiser).

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
my neighbor is 6' 5" and around 200lbs. he sits very well on my cruiser that has been stretched a bit. In fact I cant keep him away from it now! Stretch frame cruiser may be a good option.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Thanks. Unfortunately, my budget is under $200 and the only bike I've found that fits me in that price range is the Genesis Onyx 29" sold at Walmart (which unfortunately won't an easy bike to convert).

Hey LincolnMercury, how did you solve the shifter position dilemma? Looks like you used the dual brake lever and just swapped the shifter to the left side but backwards, hard to tell from the pics. How is that working for ya?

Love the exhaust clamp for the mounting option though. Used it on my bike and going to use it again on the current build for my friend.

LincolnMercury

Oct 28, 2008
Oxford, FL
Greedy, that is exactly what I did. I have 4 builds, including a SBP shifter kit on a Giant mountain bike frame, with the shifter on the left. The dual brake lever I have used on several builds. It just takes a little practice to shift down when coming to a light.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
hey anyone that owns this bike could you please measure from the back tire to the down tube. i want to do a 4 stroke shifter and i wanna make sure it will. thanks and i really appreciate it