What helmet to go?

GoldenMotor.com

chatreed

Apr 2, 2011
NY
I need a new helmet for my riding,and my mom said it should be reliable to protect me.
this skyway helmet is what I choose,hesitate to order it,any guys use this brand?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Holy moly looks like a star wars prop. I bet that thing works just fine. I just bought a used police motor cycle helmet. It will hang on my shop wall since It ended up being more helmet than I wanted. It also weighs about ten tons. I don't like heavy helmets. I'm riding a bike that will do all of twenty miles and hour, downhill, with a tail wind. It is hard for me to justify trying to look like a h***'s angel. I thought I was getting one of those little brain bucket type things. Oh well. I might end up with a collection of helmets on my wall.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
It really all depends on if the helmet has dot approval sticker. If they do they are generaly heavier then bike or motorcross gear . I use a voss novelty helmet ,about forty bucks, no dot sticker but there light .
If your still ride a little wild , a full face is the way to go .
Just be sure of fit ,thats why i almost never by one with out fitting that brand to my giant ball like head.
I also see a lot of people riding with out chin straps ,guess cuz they think it's uncomfortable or not cool , they are however vital use them!
If your mom lets you ride and thats the only thing she wanted , buy one and wear it like your life depends on it , cuz if she see's you ride without it ???

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Anything without the dot label is illegal but then so is my Bam bike. I have two dot helmets and still wear a bike helmet because i'm an idiot. I am going to start looking for a sports helmet, that looks more like a dot helmet though.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
I'm using this ensemble, the neck protector can be zipped away for warmer days. And that oldstyle goggle is good against the flying critters...:D

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree that it should have a DOT approval. and here in california it has to be Dot approved.

i also agree that it's gotta fit right. if it wobbles around on your head, it's no good, and not safe.

and the chinstrap thing, too. your head will usually bounce more than once when it hits the pavement. and an unstrapped helmet will fly off with the first bounce. then the second bounce is gonna really mess you up. i've seen it happen in skateboarding, BMX, and on motorcycles.

if you're gonna bother wearing a helmet, make sure it fits, and is fastened properly.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Also, just for those that don't understand the ramifications of this basic fact: don't ever drop your DOT helmet on the ground! You can ruin a helmet that way, even if there is no visible damage. Hard impacts compromise it's integrity. If you have crashed with your helmet, get a new one. Take extra special care of it :D

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Im gonna buy a motorcycle helmet. They have the best padding and protection, that my opinion. They completely surround your head. They may be a little heavy and bulky, but in the end it will save your life if you ever hit the paveement. I gonna buy one thats about 70 bucks. My family disagrees with the whole bicycle thing so this will hopefully calm their fears alittle. They think by riding my now motorized bicycle, that itll be the death of me but I think otherwise. I don't go fast in the city, and I definitely not reckless. These bikes have power and it must be respected. lol
brnot

Life is too short to just waste and get yourself killed. Safety First!

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Thats exactly where I am looking for one. lol I'm definitely going to go with one that is DOT approved, that has the sticker.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
personally, I never ride without a lid unless im just test riding, in which case i am riding right down the street from my house when no cars are coming. trust me, i live on a back road, its flat, nothing but farms around, when i say no cars are coming, none are coming. when leaving the vicinity of my house, i always rock a lid. this is due in part to the fact that i was involved in a small accident with my first mb. I was rocking a lid at the time as well and was not seriously injured, and have not been involved in any more wrecks since then, but still why take the chance. the lid i rock now is a dirtbike lid that i traded a full face lid for. dirtbike helmets are light and comfortable while still providing adequate protection. in fact, my lid does have a dot sticker. what i really want to say is this. chatreed, dont get a helmet because your mom suggested it. get a helmet because you are concerned for your own safety. nothing wrong with rocking a used lid, probably save you some money. check craigslist, check parts places, motorcycle shops and garages. they may have a used lid laying around. i once went to a garage and got a used lid for free. the guy told me to try it on and it fit so he said take it. you never know. but get a lid that you are comfortable rocking.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
If I were you, I would make sure its a full face helmet. I've been down a couple of times and could have jacked up my grill if it wasn't for my full face helmet.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Yes indeed Dave, we should really use helmets like yours, best safety you can get. but the modern helmets looks so......nasty ?