Upgraded chain

GoldenMotor.com

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Hey people.. I just want to throw this out their. The chains that come with these kits are nothing but junk..They stretch and stretch and constantly pop off....Throw them AWAY!.. I just put on a #41 chain
yesterday and have had zero problems... My bike was setup perfect. All my problems were the results of an inferior product.. You can save yourself's a a lot time and grief by running down to Northren tool and picking up a Drive Chain #41 | Chains + Sprockets | Northern Tool + Equipment and dont forget a
Heavy Duty Chain Breaker..

usflg

FlyingHorse87

Jun 27, 2010
Jeannette, PA
The chain that comes with these kits isn't the best, mine stretched significantly over 3 days of running, that could also be attributed to me riding up very steep hils and weighing 250. I replaced mine with KMC 415H free style chain, it was arond $13.00 and is much higher quality than the original. Another easy way the seperate chain without a chain breaker is to carefully grind down the pins on a bench grinder WEARING GLOVES, then put a chisle or large straight blade beater screwdriver between the side plates and tap it with a hammer. They will come right apart with no damage.

Evan

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Hey people.. I just want to throw this out their. The chains that come with these kits are nothing but junk..They stretch and stretch and constantly pop off....Throw them AWAY!.. I just put on a #41 chain
yesterday and have had zero problems... My bike was setup perfect. All my problems were the results of an inferior product.. You can save yourself's a a lot time and grief by running down to Northren tool and picking up a Drive Chain #41 | Chains + Sprockets | Northern Tool + Equipment and dont forget a
Heavy Duty Chain Breaker..

usflg
Just wondering, will that chain breaker work with the 415 chains?

Thanks,
Chris

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am not totally familiar with this chain stretching out deal. All my bikes that were stock I did run teisoners on them usually upgraded to a custom shaped skate board wheel was the only set up I ever truly liked . Much smoother than the stock wheel in the kits huge difference. All my friends around me so far including me never had a problem with the stock chains. My first kit I put about 6000 miles on the kit chain and motor. The out put cog on the engine had a lot of wear though. It never missed a beat.

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
i just got done ordering #41 chain too because my original chain was not long enough for my schwinn stingray, so far its been running pretty good

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
I use the stock chain. I never had a problem, besides with stretching, which is what the tensioner is for.
The tinsil strength on these chains are 2800lb compared to kit chains which are 1200lb tinsil.
Less stretchy more ridy =)

I know kits vary ...My troubles come from the gt5 kit..Being the only kit I ever owned.

Last edited:

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
i bought a #41 roller chain in a 10ft section and i had to use 5 feet of it for my chopper i used a dremel tool to grind off each side of the middle pin and used a punch to knock it out takes longer but works