Old Bike-New Motor

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Very nice build...the tank? B & M Baked Beans? LOL

I have the same can sitting in my garage to do the same thing, just trying to figure out how to get the beans out so I can eat them with some hot dogs. Dont want to cut the can open.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Actually this was my first juice can tank from another build. I had replaced it with a bigger juice can. I am glad that I didn't toss it out.

I used a hole saw at the fill point, and dumped the contents. This tank has a small fill lip and cover from a turpentine can. The new tank has a lip and cover from a pvc cleaner can(much larger).

Very nice build...the tank? B & M Baked Beans? LOL

I have the same can sitting in my garage to do the same thing, just trying to figure out how to get the beans out so I can eat them with some hot dogs. Dont want to cut the can open.

Attachments

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Overall.... I love that bike!!!! Did you have to repaint the bike? Or did you just polish and wax the old paint? Very cool regardless.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I was only able to save about 20% of the original paint. The rest was to far gone

Overall.... I love that bike!!!! Did you have to repaint the bike? Or did you just polish and wax the old paint? Very cool regardless.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very nice, Russel.
I like the paint job very much and notice you did the engine chain guard to match which is a nice touch. Of course I like the tank and have made a number of them. I use tomato juice cans and use a punch (like an ice pick) and make a small hole where the filler cap is going to go, cover it with my finger and punch another small hole where the petcock will go. Then I drain the contents into a container and drink it. Why waste the contents? Once empty make the holes the size you want and wash out the inside. I cover mine in harness leather, but also like them as they are. Nice job on the bike!
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Silverbear,
I have followed many of your post. I made this tank when Rockstinen did a post on one.
I like the work you have done. Sorry to hear about the fire. Sometimes life sucks then you just have to move on.

Enjoyed your c-clutch post. This bike was a cheap pickup and I enjoyed working on it. Most old timers like you and I get a kick out of seeing it and it always brings out some old stories.

Thanks for the response.

Russ

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Russ,
Glad to know you a bit here. Who's your dog in the avatar? Please tell your little buddy that Moosh says hi and that I'm wagging my tail.
The one sort of kind of good thing about the fire is that I don't have to fool with those danged automatic clutches any more. I loved it when it worked, but what a hassle when it didn't. Just pull start manual clutch motors are in my future. You must be having good riding weather up there in New England. I'm so anxious to ride again I can hardly wait to get home. Summer is a glory, especially when you are more aware that we're only allotted just so many, so I try to ride every nice day I can.
What is that bike by the way? I like it.
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Sbear,
As far as the c-clutches og we are at oppsite poles!
I have three bikes with standard clutch and one with the c-clutch.
I will only order engines with a c-clutch from now on. Yes my c-clutch did give me fits at first. It was not spot welded where it should have been. Later I remove some weight from the weights and I am happy with it. Many-many miles on it now.

The dog is just a photo I saw on on the net, and liked it.
I ride every chance ussually do about 25 mi a day and my best 1 day ride was 62 mi. Yes the weather has been great and I hope for more.

Later

Russ

Hey Russ,
Glad to know you a bit here. Who's your dog in the avatar? Please tell your little buddy that Moosh says hi and that I'm wagging my tail.
The one sort of kind of good thing about the fire is that I don't have to fool with those danged automatic clutches any more. I loved it when it worked, but what a hassle when it didn't. Just pull start manual clutch motors are in my future. You must be having good riding weather up there in New England. I'm so anxious to ride again I can hardly wait to get home. Summer is a glory, especially when you are more aware that we're only allotted just so many, so I try to ride every nice day I can.
What is that bike by the way? I like it.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm glad to hear that you've had good experiences with your automatic. I loved mine which I ran all summer and fall and it led me to purchase a second one this winter. This spring I was all set to enjoy my new build of the 39 Elgin, went for a couple of rides and the clutch started slipping. But you read all about that. I do think that I would have had the problem taken care of once back in Minnesota. I think I just needed to deepen that key way. What kind of soured me on things was the second one which went 20 feet and no longer engaged. That, too, I'm sure could have been fixed and I had the clutch basically apart ready to do so when I packed the bikes up to go home. And of course you know the rest of that story. So here it is pushing June and I have not ridden but those couple of short rides back in April. Maybe I will try it again some time since I now know a lot more about them, but for the immediate future I want a sure thing. But it's good to hear that yours is running well.
SB