modern version of the Indian scout

GoldenMotor.com

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
The idea is to build a modern version of the Indian scout.
For an engine i was looking at the skyhawk 49cc kit.

If anyone has some tips or pointers for a frame to start this project off with,
it would be well appreciated.
Cheers.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm... for the money I'd check out Worksman's Industrial Newsboy - they're tough as nails with years of good reputation and include really heavy duty rims and such: Industrial Heavy Duty Bikes A lot of ppl here on the forum swear they're a gift to the motorbicycling community ;)

O'course Board Track's suggestion looks pretty sweet... I just dunno anythin' about 'em lol - like rim/component quality *shrug*

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks for the tips.
Both are very close indeed.
But the thing that appeals to me is the seat that is almost on the back wheel.

The frame i am looking at is the nirve b1.
I thought to chop the seat post and move the seat back a bit.
And add a spring leaf fork from Halcyon Cycle Works perhaps.

That's as far as i got.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hey - that's a pretty sweet lookin' frame! Outa be simple enough to cut the seatpost tube down a tuck and get a layback post. the Halcyon Cycle Works forks would look about perfect :D

I would recommend lookin' into drum brake hubs if ya can, a single speed's coaster brake does work... but front brakes are kinda handy too and plain ol' bike brakes just wont look right lol

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
Are there decent dynamo / brake hubs?
I mean is there a brand that sticks out and still affordable ?

Critique and sugguestions for parts is also really welcome.

What is the take on inverse brake levers and can they be combined with a skyhawk set at all?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I just got these for my '43 Rollfast in the 'Rustoration Build Off' - the rear three speed isn't needful (unless you wanna shiftkit) and they have single speed drums too if ya wanna get rid of the coaster (they're a bit less expensive too lol) but yeah - the front is a 6v 3a generator as well... "affordable" is all a matter of perspective combined w/a touch of addiction heh, so I dunno if this is the price range yer after. Still - $80 or so isn't bad for brakes, hub, AND generator *shrug*

Sturmey Archer S30 X-RD3 3-Speed Drum Brake Hub - Google Product Search

Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum Brake Front Hub 36H - Google Product Search

edit: erm... a warning tho - the rear hub may cause problems with the stock sprocket mounting as it's pretty freakin' huge... Jim at MANIC Mechanic might be able to make ya a custom adapter for it... but even if ya don't get the drum brake hub for the rear - I very much recommend gettin' a sprocket adapter from Jim or Pirate Cycles (a distributor for Jim's adapter) as the stock "rag joint" method of mounting the rear sprocket is THE biggest source of problems and damage with these kits... I hate them and will do my best to never deal with another. They do work... but they cause a lot of headaches.

Last edited:

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks a lot .
I never even thought about that.
35$ is also a steal for something so obscure yet machined so well.
Added to the shopping list.

At this rate I'll have all the components sorted out before the week is over.

I have looked around for an idler chain tensioner kit of some sorts.
The one from ridley motor cycle is beautyful but the price is insane at $175
The one like kings motor bikes offers hurts your eyes but not your wallet at $ 10

Is there something in between that respects my wallet as well as my eyes?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No problem lol - it's what this forum is for :)

If you've horizontal dropouts you may not need the dreaded tensionor at all if you can get the chains to match... xlite and bairdco would be the ones to talk to about that heh ;) It doesn't work out for my mountain bike build because of a lack of chainstay clearance (and wrong dropout style), but it's defo something to look into if you can manage it.

There's opinions and information all over the forum, it's one of the most debated topics we have lol, I tried to gather as much as I could and put it all in one thread - there's more than I put up in the OP though so be sure to read on (and search a bit - I prolly missed a few goodies): http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html

I like the bar-to-bar full bracket myself but it'd take some fabrication;

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
Actualy this looks 100 times better then the $ 175 solution.
I'm sure even my poor welding skills can manage that much.

I have been lurking around here for a while but that solution I didnt see before.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
The sprocket adapter is a good idea.
I really like the image you posted - looks great. I'll have to throw in my common comment about checking your front end trail. With too much, it will be so stable and "corrective" that it won't want to steer easily. There can be too much of a good thing. Sorry, I have to throw that in a lot on here.
Dave
KC

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
Thank you for pointing that out yes (god i love this forum)

The rake angle as it is in the mock-up is 30 degrees.
I like to keep that close to the same as it is with the Nirve b1.
And keep the fork lenght also close to the orriginal.
If i would change the angle of the neck my frame wouldn't be horizontal anymore.
And that i don't want. So that would mean rewelding the neck.
Also not a big issue but then it would look more like a zero.

But ill take all the advice i can get on these matters.
Since i have no experience with this type of fork at all.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I've just finished a bike that I call the Andian. I went with a retro theme but probably not old enough for your tastes. It gets a lot of looks and I've got about 200 miles on it now. I've had it finished about a month. The only other thing I'm going to do is sand down the fuel tank and paint it the same red as the fenders and get a logo made that says "Andian" instead of Indian. Hope you like it!

Andy

Attachments

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
I do indeed.

The bike looks quite right with that tank like that.
Lovely job on the fenders and the sadle bags.
I think the long exhaust looks quite elegant.
Don't forget to post updates when you finish the tank.
Perhaps a small film of your bike with the engine running?

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
Thanks for the tips.
Both are very close indeed.
But the thing that appeals to me is the seat that is almost on the back wheel.

The frame i am looking at is the nirve b1.
I thought to chop the seat post and move the seat back a bit.
And add a spring leaf fork from Halcyon Cycle Works perhaps.

That's as far as i got.
Nice Bike project! And Oh Ya, "Ik sprect Hollanse" I was born in Amsterdam in 1962 and moved to the U.S.A. in 1969. Good luck on your bike.brnot

Happy Jack

Apr 18, 2010
USA
The only other thing I'm going to do is sand down the fuel tank and paint it the same red as the fenders and get a logo made that says "Andian" instead of Indian. Hope you like it!
You have a very nice bike.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks Leo and Jack! Your suggestions do not offend at all. I REALLY struggled with whether I should have painted the wheels black or left them chrome. I checked all over the 'net and typically, whenever I saw whitewalls, they had chrome rims, blackwalls more typically had black rims.

I found the tank online. It's called a Pagsta Chopper tank. I had to buy the cap and petcock separately. Keep your eyes peeled, they do show up on occasion. I've not sanded down the flames yet, been too busy riding it! I put one of Manic's sprockets (40T) and hubs on it and that has made a great difference in smoothing out the ride.

I've got about 1200 miles on it since Christmas and at some point, I'm sure I'll have to do some "freshening up" on it. At that time, who knows what little items I might decide to change.

Glad you guys like it!