N A S A We have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
ok, i over tightened my head bolts and have stripped out my threads down in the crank. What size should i tapp out the threads? PABLO???????????????? lol.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
go to an american size that is comparable to the current metric size.. american will be just slightly larger. just tap it out and be careful... done stuff like that many times..

you'll want 16 thread

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
ok, i over tightened my head bolts and have stripped out my threads down in the crank. What size should i tapp out the threads? PABLO???????????????? lol.
Jeff, I thought you said you had a torque wrench. LOL If you get into big problems give me a call, might have to heli coil it or I can make you some special studs.
Maybe the book was right when it said head bolt torque 10 Ft. Pounds?

John

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i,m not sure which size pablo. i'll find out. i figure i can just tapp them out into a standard size. i just hope i can find some bolts. are head bolts special like grade 8?

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
hey john. i put my other head back on. i had an extra head bolt. now i have about half the power and will not idle. i sprayed the head with wd-40 with it running and no high revs. so that should tell me if i have a leak right? i put some gasket silicon underneath the jug and the crank case. i wonder if that is causing my problem? if i choke it while its running it wants to kill the motor, which is good. there isn't any certain way to put the jug back on the piston is there? i just slide it back over the piston. sever lose of power. no more raddle.....lol!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
So the stud was stripped? Typical.

You probably have a head gasket leak. Research the aluminum paint trick and use a new gasket. Maybe get 4 new studs, so you can torque it up good. I went to 20 ft. #'s on mine, but they are 8mm. Sealed tight.
With 6mm......hmm......maybe 14 max.

LUBE and Compress the rings as you slide the cylinder on carefully.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
A 1/4" is slightly larger than 6mm. I had one of the studs strip like that and I just used JB Weld to fasten it back in. That was about 500 miles ago and it is still holding. If it ever does pull loose you can still tap it out to a larger size. Good luck! There is always something with these kits!

.bf.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i cant seem to find that post pablo. would it not be blowing oil out of head gasket if was leaking? or could i here it? i'm at work when i get home i'll see if i can figure it out. thanks

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
i cant seem to find that post pablo. would it not be blowing oil out of head gasket if was leaking? or could i here it? i'm at work when i get home i'll see if i can figure it out. thanks
It's simple enough, just paint up a new gasket with (real) aluminum spray paint. Let it air cure a bit and then assemble and torque.

If it's leaking bad it will puke nasty juices.....minor leaks take a while for the juices to come forth.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I took it back apart and low and behold only one and a half rings. Scared and gouged piston and head. U.S.A Bike motors said there is no way a ring can break? But, they are sending me a new piston,rings,and head gasket. I guess I'll put my old head (not slant) back on. Also, I drilled my 6mm holes out and put 5/16 bolts in. Much better. Gotta love these chinese pot metal engines! :-||