Blowing coils, here are my ohms readings

GoldenMotor.com

zebugman

Sep 17, 2013
Amurica
I'm blowing coils. The first went out because most likely it got wet. Bought a replacement, and within three miles, the motor flamed out, and the coil tested open.

My spark plug gap is 0.027.

I took out the coil and unplugged everything.

Here are all my readings.

Coil:
Red on black, black on white: 2.4
Red on blue, black on white: open
Vice versa: open

Interestingly, when I touch the large metal sides of the coil holder that wraps the magnet, I get 0.6 ohms.

CDI:
On 200k, black wire to boot, 6.9
Blue wire to boot: open
Blue wire to black wire: open one way, 185k the other way.

Not sure what they need to be. I'm going to RMA the coil though. Could something else be causing the problem?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you could have a bad solder joint at the top of the coil where the winds ground to the armature - try reading from blue to the wire right there (scrape a bit of enamel off the wire to get a good connection)

I have seen a lot of coil failures caused by a bad left main bearing on the crankshaft that allows the rotor to smack into the armature and loosen that soldered ground connection. Check this by prying up a bit on the end of the crank with a screwdriver to see if there is any movement there.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the armature is properly seated on the circular area of the case casting, there will be about 8 thousandths clearance between rotor & armature

you would pry up on the end of the crank where the rotor nut is to check for a sloppy bearing

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
ANY up and down movement in your mains is bad. I would replace it if there is slop before you get a rude surprise at 30mph....
Shaking piston chunks out of your pipe is no fun.
Not to mention all your tender bits at risk from a motor going bang!

zebugman

Sep 17, 2013
Amurica
Well I tried prying it and o didn't really get movement. All I got was where it was flexing the crankshaft. But no space or gaps or anything.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You should be good then. I would think if the mains got that bad, there would be other signs as well.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Possibly water killed it. SEAL THAT COVER!
Every single customer bike I have seen with a blown coil was due to water.
Every. single. one.
Never seen the solder defect yet, but I know it happens.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Light coating of RTV silicone on both sides of the gasket, and a glop around the wires where they enter the case.