Hello, I' new and have a question

GoldenMotor.com

Doug817

Nov 5, 2013
USA
I'm new to motorbiking. I want to buy a new bike and put a DAX 2 stroke motor on it and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good bike for that. I'm 6' and weigh about 210. Would like a cruiser type bike with big tires. Would also like to have 3 to 7 speeds with a front break, unless anyone has a better suggestion. I am open to any and all suggestions. Really looking forward to this project.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'd say that you have two affordable choices. The Schwinn Point Beach or the Huffy Cranbrook.

The Schwinn has the multiple gears you want. But the Huffy has stouter wheels.

They both have some weaknesses that you'll want to be advised of. So you should read threads here on both bikes. There's a lot of info to be found.

Have fun.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I concur but, and maybe I'm mistaken so correct me if so, but I thought the Point Beach was an aluminum bike. I know many have been built but I tend to shy away from them because I like to weld engine mounts, tensioner brackets, etc. and I've never master the art of welding aluminum even though I have the equipment to do it.

There used to be a Schwinn called the Jaguar but it is no longer in production but it was replaced by the South Port. Same bike, different color scheme. They were good platforms for motorizing. The Cranbrook has been used many times and mostly successfully. I was just never impressed with some of the factory welds on the 'Cranny' but I've never heard of a frame failure on one.

Asking for opinions on bikes is going to get you numerous suggestions and comments. There are so many good candidates out there and so many have been used by our members that everyone will suggest their favorites.
Good luck and keep us informed on the progress of your build.

I'll also welcome you to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.

Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I concur also. if you want a better bicycle to build your motorized bicycle the electra townies are real nice but expensive