Cheap easy V-Brake upgrade.

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Cut the bridge off a pair of cheap suspension forks and weld it in place on your frame. Mine will lock the wheel at speed with my 230lb butt on the seat.

Free off a junk parts bike.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Good mod. They want at least $20 for those V-brake adapters. Can get a junk/beater bike for that, plus you still have all the extra parts after eh? :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Good mod. They want at least $20 for those V-brake adapters. Can get a junk/beater bike for that, plus you still have all the extra parts after eh? :)
Exactly. With a welder, there are more useable bits on most bikes...Rims and bars and pedals are not all you can use...
:)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I did something like that but later found out that if you spread the left side out for clearance for pulley for belt drive, the left side of the rear brake shoe will not meet up with the left side of the rim correctly.

I fixed that by modifying the brake pad on the left side to extend further to reach.

I may one day cut the weld and re-weld it to the left a little and won't need a modified brake shoe for the left rear pad.

I had not thought I would be spreading the frame to fit or I would have avoided this.

FYI

MT

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I like those. If you're into using junk bikes, think of them as a semi-permanent part you can take off and re-use on another bike.

If you want them to be permanent, they should give you plenty of metal to weld onto, and with the fat brake arch, you should be able to line it up even on stretched frames.