Clutch problem(s)

GoldenMotor.com

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
So i have the 80cc chinese motor, have had it for a few months now. I also have the clutch actuator kit from jim at creative engineering. It works good and everything but the other day i changed the clutch pads because the clutch started slipping a bit. And now when i tried to adjust it , the clutch isnt grabbing hard enough and i can feel it slipping when i have the clutch engaged. But when i disengage the clutch i can hear the clutch grabbing a little bit still. This doesnt change no matter how i adjust it. Ive spent at least a couple hours on it trying to figure it out but nothing works. Still the same results no matter what i do. its almost like the pressure plate or whatever you want to call it is too smooth and it doesnt grab very well. Anyone have any kind of an idea?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
I made the mistake of greasing the gears in there once and I had similar results you are having. If you recently did this then use some brake clean and remove all grease from your clutch area and reassemble and give that a try .hope this helps

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
Nope i never greased the gears at all. Its all clean in there. The presure plate is super smooth though. Still has the holes in it but its super smooth.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
this is kinda a no brainer, but did you tighten the clutch plate enough to make it grab the pads when engaged ? I know that happened to me also after I disassembled one to see how it worked

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
sorry Qdot, I guess i cant help ya much . try to do a search here in the forums and see if there is a tutorial on clutches

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Qdot,

As Joe pointed out, I did a post on the external adjustment of the main clutch spring. At the time I didn't have a decent camera...I do now, or at least a better one. I also didn't have the entire engine in my CAD system, now I do.

Let me know if you're still having trouble and I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow. This combined with the CAD renderings should clear this up.

In the post I was offering a solution to a really tight clutch. If the spring were set too loose it will also cause the clutch to slip no matter how much you tighten the star nut.

I'm working on getting all of this stuff up on my website for everyone to use...It's time consuming.

Jim

Last edited:

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
Awesome man! I knew there had to be one more point of adjustment. I was about ready to throw a dirtbike motor on my bike and call it a day. I ride this thing everywhere so i was stressin out.