No Start/No Spark

GoldenMotor.com

bdawson85

Mar 10, 2015
Texas
Hey guys. I just installed Brand new 80cc flying horse performance motor kit, from bikeberry, on my bike. Tried to start it with no luck. I have pulled the spark plug and seems like there is no spark. The spark plug is dry and no spark when pedal. Seems/sounds like motor is turning fine when pedal and there is difference between clutch and releasing clutch, just no fire. Any recommendations? Thanks!

bdawson85

Mar 10, 2015
Texas
Thank you for the quick response and the link. Yes fuel is getting down from the fuel tank into the carburetor, at least from what I can see in the fuel line.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Now you need to check that the fuel is going out the carb and into the engine... its not uncommon for junk to be in the carb and blocking off the needle and seat valve or the main jet. Are you using a fuel filter? And also, did you cleannout the new tank before installing? The tanks are notorious for having stuff in them that shouldn't be there and this crux cannmakenit into the carb andnblock the main jet or even block the needle and seat valve letting no fuel to actuary enter the carb.

For the no spark condition check your wiring then check the resistance across the black and the blue wire with the cdi unplugged for a reading between about 320 and 550 or so... most will read 360 to 380 but I've seen them read as high as 560 and as low as 300 and they'll work just fine in this range... what you don't want to see is no reading or 0 or a really low reading.the plastic sparkplug boot is also notorious for failure so removing this boot, crimping on an automotive terminal and using annautomotive type rubber boot will make this part much more reliable, you'll also need to leave on the little metal cap on topnof the plug or get onenoff a used sparkplug from something else and put onnyour existing plug. The stock plugs aren't that great so most of us use an ngk irridium plug, but I just use the autolite #275 plugs since they're cheap and reliable, then after the engine is broken in and tuned I'll switch to something more expensive, but the autolite plugs work very well and will last if that's what you would rather use.

bdawson85

Mar 10, 2015
Texas
Found part of the problem. The magneto that turns and is connected to cranks was lose and no turning. Tightened it down and the bike started to crank up as I peddled and release the clutch. However, still not starting...

Checked carb and fuel. Fuel is getting into carb, and fuel is getting to main engine. Checked spark, still no spark. Spark plug cap/boot is clean and secure. All wires connected and secure connection. My guess and assumption is magneto is no good? Also checked throttled. It sounds like it wants to start but doesn't stay idol when I stop peddling and try to throttle and no acceleration. Throttle is good.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the magneto rotor (magnet) was "loose and not turning" that tells me the woodruff key is probably missing. The rotor must be indexed to the crankshaft correctly or the ignition timing will be off resulting in a no-start condition. Just tightening the nut that holds the rotor on won't fix it. There is a key and a keyway that must be aligned.

Just a quick question: How are you checking for ignition (spark) ?

Tom

bdawson85

Mar 10, 2015
Texas
Highly unlikely, it was barely loose and I think due to my part when I loosen butterfly nut on other side, brand new motor from a pretty well claimed distributor. But going to test the CDI and magneto for voltage. I'm assuming one or the other is out.

Pull the spark plug out while still connected to CDI boot and seeing if omits spark.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Pull the spark plug out while still connected to CDI boot and seeing if omits spark."

Yes but the plug must be grounded to the engine. You won't see anything if you just hold it in your hand. You have to complete an electrical circuit by holding the plug against some metal part of the engine. The wrench flats of the plug held snugly against the cylinder head cooling fins is a good way. And, the engine must me rotated fast. Too slow and no ignition will be produced. Leave the clutch engaged and pedal the bike spinning the rear wheel.

Not sure what you mean by "butterfly nut on the right side". Can you explain that?

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Also check to make sure your magnet isn't installed backward... if so it'll spark, but way off timing and won't fire the cylinder so the engine won't start.

With the piston at TDC, remove the nut that holds the magnet down, the woodruff key should be at the 1:00 position when the piston is at TDC and the round parts of the magnet at 3 and 9 o'clock position, the flats should be at 12 and 6 respectively.

If the magnet looks like it's sitting in there slanted with the woodruff key at the 1 o clock position the magnet is on backward, this happens occasionally and it's rare for one to come in this way but I've seen it happen before.