Specialized DIY Shifter/Scooterguy

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
AV,
DAX used to sell the 10T sprockets but doesn't have them on his website anymore.
I used a hand file on them since the teeth weren't shaped. I have been using the same 2 10T sprockets for awhile now & never had any issues with wear. The 12T @ fancy scooter is a harder metal and will wear longer but I prefer the 10T. Email DAX to see if he can get some more of those $4.99 10T's in stock?
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Wickedest1,
That isn't the same sprocket.
The ones we use have a pinion spline pattern. Outside the pinion measures 9/16" if I remember correctly. You could use that BGF sprocket if the bore was 9/16" but how would you keep it fixed on the shaft without spinning?
-Low-

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Now I've got a problem with it sounding and runnining like it is sucking air. Even with the air cleaner off or on it still runs the same way. Any ideas? Thanks. It is a brand new honda gx35.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Now I've got a problem with it sounding and runnining like it is sucking air. Even with the air cleaner off or on it still runs the same way. Any ideas? Thanks. It is a brand new honda gx35.
go over evry nut and bolt there is...sometimes shipping and maybe careless production worker...

gas oil mix right?
bad gas?

run the engine and spray carb cleaner at mating surfaces...listen for rpm change, hi or low...

that's to rule out gasket leaks...air leaks...

check all your fuel lines too...and the screws that hold the carb to the motor...

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I love my bike. It takes me places I can't go with a car. I've been riding it in the lowest gear possible(34T cassette) and it is a nice ride without even changing gears. It has nice torque and I can get up to about 25mph in the lowest gear possible.

The gearbox is noisy though compared to the engine.(Honda gx35) but that is o.k. It might be because I'm running it in the lowest gear. I love how I can cut the engine and pedal it thru places I shouldn't motor thru. I do have to bend my legs a little bit in a bow to move around the engine, but that is o.k. I'm not pedaling for great distances with it.

The engine is only sounding like it is sucking air when I first start off. When I get going the engine doesn't sputter. I tightened the carb screws. Still same thing. Thanks for your help.

p.s. So far just the 16 guage is holding the pocket bike tranny and the honda gx35 with the 5 bolts, but if you are going to build one of these you might wanna try and find thicker sheetmetal. The engine shakes around a little bit with just the 16 guage.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hmmm....Seems like I mentioned that possibility?
Fix it before it throws a chain under power.
Trust me. You don't want it slapping you in your tender bits....

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
It was throwing the chain this morning, but then I added 4 washers to each McMaster Carr mount and got a straighter line on the chain. It's not throwing the chain now. I believe the 16 guage is strong enough. I'm not going to fix it unless it breaks. Then I'll search for thicker sheetmetal. This isn't my first shifter build with using 16 guage sheetmetal. It is my second.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
AV,
I've had 6 of those Pocket bike trannys now and all have been great except the latest one. It is very noisy and annoying enough to not use this tranny.
I think like the Chinese engines, some are good & some are bad. Maybe it has defective bearings? I may take it apart & inspect those bearings & see what size they are (printed on the side of the bearing) buy some new better quality bearings & replace them or just buy another tranny for $30 & cross my fingers.
-Lowracer-

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I've got this thing running pretty reliable right now. In the beginning it was throwing the chain alot, but I shimmed out the mounting plate with washers to get a straighter chain and I added this....................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220873840751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

to the non-load side of the chain and now it is not throwing the chain. Also the 16 guage is holding the honda gx35 and the pocket bike tranny with just the 5 bolts.

The honda gx35 is quiet, but the gearbox is noisy. I've been contetemplating bumping up to a more powerful 2 stroke, since the gearbox is louder than the engine but not sure if just the 16 guage will handle the added power.

The honda gx35 on it is a little underpowered to turn the 12T fancy scooter wheel, so I really don't use the shifter gears much. I just run it in the lowest gear(34T cassette). I love it, but the max speed on it is 27 mph. My first shifter build with a honda gx31 I got a max speed of 31mph on it, but it was turning a smaller wheel.(drive sprocket) and I could utilize the gears.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Glad you're having fun! It looks like a cool ride and I'm glad to hear it's holding together for you!
Adding another plate to reinforce for a bigger engine should not be too hard...simply add to what you already have if you can't find thicker material.
You build is too cool not to have use of the gearing...

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I got my Tanaka pf-4000 in the mail today, but not sure if I'm going to use it for this build or another one. I rode my Honda gx35 scooterguy/shifter to the store today and after I got off of it and went in the store and then tried to start it, it acted like it didn't want to run. It would start, I could apply throttle but then it would die. Sometimes it wouldn't even start. The primer bulb was empty and it was throwing alot of air thru the return. Any ideas?

I might be keeping the gx35 on the scooterguy/shifter build instead of putting on the Tanaka 40 because it is throwing the bike chain on the 24T SBP freewheel crank on little bumps. Any ideas for a cure? It is not chain suck. It is only when I hit a bump it throws the bicycle chain off the 24T drive ring. Thanks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Many things can cause that.
The fuel filter has gotten clogged up.
The feed fuel hose has cracked just inside where it enters the fuel tank wall.
There is a hairline crack in the primer bulb.
One of the flapper valves in the carburetor has torn or gotten deformed.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The Honda gx35 is a brand new engine. What is weird is that it only does it for about 3-4 minutes then it corrects itself and then runs fine. The 3-4 minutes suck though. Thanks

I'm having second thoughts anyway sitting here staring at a new Tanaka pf-4000. The only thing is if it was throwing the bike chain on the 24T with the GX35 it is probably going to throw the chain more with the Tanaka 40 considering it would go faster and hit bumps with more momemetum. Thanks

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Problem: Took off the Honda GX35 and installed a Tanaka PF-4000 on the 5:1 pocket bike tranny on the bike. I do not have an Idle. I turned the Idle screw all the way down till it sounds like the engine is going to stall out but the sprocket still turns. It seems like the clutch is always engaged. Any Ideas? The sprocket continuously turns even at idle. Thanks

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Lowracer helped fix the problem with the Tanaka PF-4000 but I didn't do it completely right. If you are going to use the Tanaka PF-4000 with the pocket bike tranny becareful. It does take a washer inbetween the engine and the 5:1 pocket bike tranny. The washers I used caught the lip on the tranny and broke off the ears, and that was the noise I had pieces of tranny rolling around inside. So I took off the Tanaka 40 and put back on the Honda GX35. The tranny and drive train runs fine. There is still a problem with the engine though(Honda GX35). It sounds like it is sucking air or not getting a constant fuel supply though. If anyone has any ideas what It might be I would appreciate your input. I tightened the carb. screws already. Thanks.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Perfect example why I prefer the NT style carb over the pumper walbro style. Endless hassles keeping it airtight and tuned.
If I were you, Id fab a manifold and slap a $15 NT on that sucker and ride it.

dchevygod

May 23, 2014
Colorado springs
I think that's terrible advise!^^^

You don't want to be able to tune the carb with a screw?
Or what? Gaskets on pumper carbs rarely go bad unless you use ethanol fuel and let it go bad. Varnish will plug a fuel passage easily.

I love the pumper carbs! The problem gx35 sounds like an oiling issue to me. Once the oil gets to the valves the noise stops.

That's just my shot in the dark opinion and really need my hands on the motor to diagnose the problem correctly.

If it smooths out its not the carb I don't think. Maybe a bad casting that leaks till it expands when it warms up?