help me fix my brake issue

GoldenMotor.com

frogbiscuit

Jun 20, 2012
Northern VA
On my rat rod. Daily driver, about 5 miles a day, but lots of hills. It's a Ross Eurotour single speed with a HT 66cc. The coaster was trashed so I gutted the hub, and have side pull front and back with kool stop pads. They are wearing out quick. Steel rims. Being a full time student I need a cheap fix before I face plant in front of a bus. Any ideas?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My painted steel rim ate up pads quick till the surface got smooth, the pads on it now are not wearing out like the first set. Its funny the pads on my other bike with aluminum wheels still look new.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Steel rims can be really hard on KoolStops. KoolStops really aren't made for them.

Side-pull brakes don't help either, because they have a lot of lateral movement. This increases the amount of wear on the pad, like an orbital sander.

I think the quickest, cheapest fix you can do is to run the old cheap brake pads. Like these: http://www.amazon.com/New-Taiwan-Bolt-Bike-Break/dp/B00BGI7ZDA/

They actually work decent on steel rims, although with your setup you might burn through them just as quick. At least they are very cheap.
I've seen them for as little as $1 a pair in dollar stores lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If in any way possible go with disc brakes. You'll never look back because there's no comparison. I understand your financial limits but brakes are important. Too important to overlook or go cheap on.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My bike ate pads until I sanded all the factory paint off the rims............made it lots better. It also stops better now.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
by the name of your bike im assuming it had 27" wheels. Pick up a set (or even just a front) of aluminum wheels on craigslist. You should be able to find a single wheel for under $20. Rim brakes on steel wheels is some bullshiet, plain and simple - it wont ever work well. high quality brakes that dont flex foreword are important to stopping ability as well - just keep an eye out for used stuff. best of luck dance1

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Tubes Incorporated/Raleigh/Sturmey-Arcer once sold a set of black compound brake pads that had 'chromed-leather' special surfaces inset into them and they actually worked fair in wet weather on steel chromed rims.

I kind of doubt they're available anymore though.