slant head was fun while it lasted...

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
A: There is not even the slightest chance that compression will push a plug out...even a crappy aluminum casting will have a shear strength of 6,000-8,000PSI. Lead, pewter, would not let go under compression...not this engine, or a turbo-charged diesel for that matter.

B: The fact that the plug is at an angle has nothing to do with it. Actually a head with an angled plug does absolutely nothing for these engines other than offer clearance for tight frame installations.

The plug loosened up, and hammered repeatedly until the threads were gone.

Jim
I was thinking the same thing jim....the plug loosened up and thats what did it....I also agree 100% that the slant head does not give out anymore power and I havent even bought one yet....Clearance is all it is for....

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
It's true, I tried my slant head today and it seems to have actually reduced my average cruising speed by 2km/h. I thought mabye it was just drag from my clothes, but if it keeps up I'm going to put the old head back on.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I might be, the plug is black and I have the c-clip on the highest setting. Problem is that any lower and the bike won't idle.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I might be, the plug is black and I have the c-clip on the highest setting. Problem is that any lower and the bike won't idle.
That's what the idle screw is for.
And you are saying you have the clip on the bottom? Closest the point of the needle?
If so you are running WAY to rich, I had to re-jet my carb smaller and run on the very top notch to make it run right when I put on my slant.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I tried adjusting the idle screw, even with it all the way in the idle would still die. All I know is that after moving the clip up the power improved and it idled like it should. I checked for air leaks and couldn't find any, so I guess that's just how it is. I could try moving it down a peg for the slant head...

Edit: Alright, I had a look at it. Turns out I had the clip closest to the top, which seems like the leanest setting since that's where the needle would be pushing into the jet the most. That's still too rich judging by the plug...odd. Anyhow, does the slant head benefit more from a better mix (moreso than a standard head)?

Last edited: