Best way to crash?

GoldenMotor.com

cdaviesaz

Jun 14, 2011
PNW
Sounds morbid, doesn't it? But let's face it, we've all considered it while out riding. And perhaps we should discuss the best way to crash if it's going to happen.

Let's assume a car pulls out too far from a blind side street and you just don't have enough time to stop, but you have enough time to ________?

Aside from the Subaru way, which is to avoid an accident altogether, a lot of motorcycle guys claim it's best to "lay it down" if impact is inevitable. Not sure I agree on these things.

Let's also assume standard sedan, and you're headed for the front wheel at about 25MPH. You have a helmet, etc. What do you do?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Lay the bike down and rag doll it.
Translation: Gently set the bike down so it will slide freely along the pavement. Simultaneously relax all your muscles and mentally prepare yourself for impact with the tarmac. The trick is to relax. If you tense up and tighten your muscles you stand to get more sprains and broken bones/ torn ligaments.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
the reason you lay it down is because you want the to follow the bike. not the bike following you .
as in if the bike is following you the rolls/slides/flips over you.

from what i understand (& inevitably somebody will tell me how i'm wrong)
if one locks up their back tire & it starts to go sideways.
don't release your brake you may drop the bike. though it is much much safer than releasing your rear brake. then the bike will toss you over the bike then topple over you.

i would advise practising. try some panic stops & quick turns.

i've been riding bikes & scooters most of my life. the best advise is.
ride like no one can see you.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Actually, I think the best-of-the-best ways to crash would be: a moment before impact you spot a gigantic swimming pool in the yard just on the other side of the car you're going to hit. Having presence of mind to press the kill switch before slamming the car, at impact you soar over the handlebars and over the car and take a refreshing dip in the pool.

You surface to find that the stunning blonde who owns the pool came over to make sure you were okay and offer you a pina colada to take the edge off a stressful situation. Upon finishing your dip, your drink, and some pre-emptive mouth-to-mouth resusitation, you inspect your bike to find that the only damage is a bent front fork. Being like me, you have a couple spare forks in the shed. You take the bike home and have it fixed that very evening.

Wish I could have crashed that way.

(Well, ya know, he did ask for the BEST way to crash.) :)

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
In the response to the senerio above I would try to play it out 2 ways.

Plan A would involve locking the back brake and whipping the rear end around while laying it down while trying to roll my body to either side to avoid impacting witht the car.

Plan B is harder to do and at more risk of injury but can be done. This way would involve me making the choice that I did not have enough time for plan a and hitting the car stright on is the only option or un avoidable.

I would slam the brakes to slow as much as possible hopeing it will lessen the impact speed a little. then right before the hit release the brakes and use the momentum of the impact to attempt to launch off of the bike and summersault or roll over the handle bars while trying to land back down on the hood of the car, then slide off the other side either landing on my feet and running out of it or landing on my feet taking a few steps and summersaulting/rolling agian on the groung till i stop.

I would always prefer to take plan b if it could be done perfect everytime but I know thats not possible so plan a first and if all else fails plan b. Plan B would look awesome if done correctly. I really like the pool idea mentioned above that would be the ultimate master plan.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I've broadsided a vehicle once on my 66cc when I was wide open after a full mile.

Simple stuff - jump STRAIGHT UP. Push the bike away from you so you don't get sucked under the vehicle with it. If possible, aim for the windshield. Works like a dream. (or a bikers nightmare)

Suffice to say - I bent my forks so hard the wheel was past the frame. I flipped em backwards and rode home.