Starting problem-weird

GoldenMotor.com

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
Hi,
I have a BGF engine on my bike and have been through the break in period, switched spark plug due to it fouling out in break in period with a NGK 3 prong and changed my mix to 32:1 but soon will be going to 25:1. The bike was running fine but now it seems to be having a hard time starting. I pedal up to speed and drop the clutch and the back wheel skids for a little ways and then the engine starts but bogs down so i have to quickly pull the clutch back in and rev the engine. After I do that it is fine but I dont think I should have to do that.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I need to do to fix it. It also seems to help if I have the choke half way to start it.

Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sounds like yer fuel/air mix may be a tiny bit off, have ya checked the plug's coloration?

Still, it sounds close to being fine from what you've described so if yer plug is a nice tan/coffee color or even a dark chocolate I'd leave it be.

Tire skid: keep pedalin' - compression isa good thing.
Oil mix: 32:1 is favored by most that are runnin' a good non-synthetic, 25:1 might be a lil heavy.
NGK: 3 prong? Sweet - but may be overkill, NGK B6HS seems to be the plug of choice tho the iridium one is becoming popular.
Choke: a lil choke to start a cold engine is normal for a well tuned motor, most of these kit carbs run so rich as to need no choke at all... check the plugs color - you may be a lil lean.

What you've described is pretty much the normal starting procedure for my schwinn (stock NT carb), 'cept I use a squirt frm the primer instead of the choke - so if other than that everythin's good and it runs well I'd be happy w/it - these lil engines so sensitive to air density and temp changes you can drive yerself nuts tryin' to get it "perfect" all the time...

don't ask how I know :p

Last edited:

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
Sounds like yer fuel/air mix may be a tiny bit off, have ya checked the plug's coloration?

Still, it sounds close to being fine from what you've described so if yer plug is a nice tan/coffee color or even a dark chocolate I'd leave it be.

Tire skid: keep pedalin' - compression isa good thing.
Oil mix: 32:1 is favored by most that are runnin' a good non-synthetic, 25:1 might be a lil heavy.
NGK: 3 prong? Sweet - but may be overkill, NGK B6HS seems to be the plug of choice tho the iridium one is becoming popular.
Choke: a lil choke to start a cold engine is normal for a well tuned motor, most of these kit carbs run so rich as to need no choke at all... check the plugs color - you may be a lil lean.

What you've described is pretty much the normal starting procedure for my schwinn (stock NT carb), 'cept I use a squirt frm the primer instead of the choke - so if other than that everythin's good and it runs well I'd be happy w/it - these lil engines so sensitive to air density and temp changes you can drive yerself nuts tryin' to get it "perfect" all the time...

don't ask how I know :p
Right I understand that the whole compression thing but I dont think that I should have to pull the clutch back in and rev the engine up to keep it running. Once I do that and get it going it does run fine though. I just thought that it was a lil odd that the clutch has to pulled back in like that. It just recently started doing that so i dont know what it could be. I did notice that when the clutch is let out the bike rolls freely for about 2-3 inches and I thought that it was supposed to be completely locked. I tried adjusting the flower nut on the clutch but that did not help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
catamount,
Barely Awake's advice is very sound, as always. What you're describing sounds normal for an engine that hasn't had a chance to warm up. Once the engine has started give it a few moments to run before expecting it to perform properly. Remember that you're dealing with a very simplistic device and not a computer controlled fuel injected engine like those found in today's cars. It takes some tweaking and patients so don't be discouraged. To clarify the fuel mix ratio question; the lower the first number, the higher the oil content.( 32:1 = 32 parts of gasoline to 1 part of oil) If you're currently running 32:1 you do not want to go to 25:1. That would be adding oil and you don't want to do that. Except for those of us who use some of the special oils available and run 100:1, the 32:1 mix is usually sufficient for an engine past break-in.
Tom

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
Ok I knew that it would be adding more oil but a guy i talked to that works on mopeds and 2stroke dirt bikes and stuff like that had told me that 32:1 didnt seem right and he would take back to around 25:1 so thats where that was coming from. As far as the engine having to warm up, that makes perfect sense to me but i just thought it was odd as the bike did not do this up until recently and I have rode the bike quite a bit.

Thank you for the advice! I guess I will just leave it as it is until something messes up lol.

Another question that I have that isnt really related at all is that when I am at WOT the bike seems to fall off on the power for a few seconds and then picks back up. I read on another thread that this could b something to do with the needle in the carb not being tapered enough. Have yall heard of anything like this. And if so what should I do to fix it. That thread mentioned sanding down one end a little but would it be easier to just buy a different needle. What would you recommend?

Below is a link to the other thread about sanding down the carb needle:
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/quick-fix-my-fuel-mix-m-6730.html?highlight=BGF

Thank you in advance for your input

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm... adding that to the above symptoms and I almost think you might have a mild fuel starvation issue. As it's a somewhat recent development and I'd suspect fuel line blockage, clogged in tank and/or inline filters, even something as simple as a dirty carb.

As your bike was doing fine until recently I'd not jump on altering the needle just yet, if that was the primary cause your bike wouldn't have run any different before as you haven't changed it's settings.

Again though - the plug has a story to tell and it knows far more about your engine's needs than we do ;)