filter and fuel line...where to get local

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I need a new filter and fuel line. I'm assuming I can get it at my local hardware store. what size do I need to look for in fuel line for a china girl kit and what filter.
Thanks

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Your local hardware store might have lawnmower stuff. Other than that I wouldn't expect any automotive or motorcycling stock. I think the size of the line is 1/4 inch but not entirely sure. If it's a bit small you can probably coax it on and it makes for a good seal.

happy new year

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check local motorcycle shops and those who work on scooters. 3/16" ID fuel line will work well on a stock engine. 1/4" ID might be a bit too big and require clamping to prevent leaks.
You can also check a local hobby shop that sells products for 1/4 scale or larger R/C model airplanes. Some will carry silicone fuel line up to 3/16" ID (inside diameter)

Motorcycle, small engine repair or lawn mower repair shops should be able to provide you with fuel line and filters. I've found them at Ace Hardware and O'Rieley auto parts stores. NAPA is also a source.

You might want to consider the alcohol content of the fuel you're using. High alky content will shorten the life of a lot of fuel line material. The kit fuel line is notorious for becoming brittle when exposed to alcohol based gasoline.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you'll find many kits these days with large gas tank fitting & small carb fitting - fuel filters are sometimes small on both ends or large on both ends

I like to use a slightly larger hose from tank to filter & smaller hose from filter to carb

carry [petcock & carb to store & find a somewhat tight fit for each (dipping in boiling water will expand it to fit well)

NOTE: if it fits a bit loose somewhere a short piece of electric wire shrink wrap can be shrunk onto the fitting before putting fuel line on

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The hose clamps that are the spring type, not worm gear type, can be better to use as they are more completely round shape to compress evenly and not leak.

I have had some made for fuel line hose that was not very malleable at all. I would not buy it again. Black rubber meant for fuel line I use. If clear is wanted, I would want to be sure it is not like the small prepackaged stuff in the HW store that leaked. There is the name brand Tygon tubing and if you find they have ones that are clear somewhat malleable and are approved for gas that might be worth it.